what exactly means playing the devil's advocate?

Favorite Answer

It means taking the opposite point of view for the purpose of just showing you that there are some possible downsides to a given situation.

A person who plays the devil's advocate takes a position in dispute, just for the sake of argument. He may or may not agree with the views of the side he is arguing on.

One who argues against a cause or position either for the sake of argument or to help determine its validity. For example, My role in the campaign is to play devil's advocate to each new policy before it's introduced to the public. This term comes from the Roman Catholic Church, where advocatus diaboli (Latin for "devil's advocate") signifies an official who is appointed to present arguments against a proposed canonization or beatification. It was transferred to wider use in the mid-1700s.

It means taking a skeptical approach to the accepted wisdom. If a group of people say "This is how things are!", he who plays Devil's Advocate says "Not so fast. Maybe that ain't how things are! What if it's like this instead?"

I had an English teacher in HS that would do this.... I really enjoyed her class- it made me think outside the box. I'd have a line of reasoning all planned out, and she'd shoot all sorts of holes in it, but it made me think of all the possible angles, contingencies...

Start with a topic that you take a strong stand on, then put yourself on the other side of the arguement- (if you're pro-life, try to think like a pro-choicer...)....

You speak on behalf of the devil to present the opposite side of the argument

a person who advocates an opposing or unpopular cause for the sake of argument or to expose it to a thorough examination.

s

To adopt the opposite position for the sake of an argument or debate.

Representing the other side of an argument, just to make sure all the reasons are examined.

It means 'looking at both sides of a question".