Sarah
Sarah asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 1 decade ago

How can I improve the flexibility of my back?

I'm still a few inches away from being able to lay on my stomach and touch my foot/feet to my head and in the future I'd like to be able to go a lot farther. What can I do to improve the flexibility of my back? What are some good stretches?

Favorite Answer

Lay down and push up into a bridge. Now make sure your hands are directly under your shoulders, lift your head slightly and push back like you are pushing your nose to the wall behind you. (I hope that makes sense!)

*While in your bridge, push both legs straight. This stretches the muscles in your upper back.

*You can also work on doing a bridge and then lowering yourself down onto your elbows.

*Kneeling backbends are also a good stretch. Start kneeling (don't sit on your feet, keep up on your knees), make sure your knees are not touching, move them a bit more than shoulder width apart. Now lean your hips forward like you are going into a backbend, and touch the floor with you hands. You can also touch the floor with your head (no hands).

The secret to becoming more flexible is doing your stretches everyday, several times a day!

Source(s): I teach dance and gymnastics

Bridge is the best, but the truth is having flexible legs and hips will help you a lot in your goal. Stretch your legs and hips a lot and you'll be able to reach your goal faster than if you just stretch your back.

Source(s): Gymnastics, Dance Team, Dance Company.

Hinge straight back instead of curving when you are doing the seal stretch. I can go alot farther when I do that!

Practice yoga

Just try doing that every day and eventually you will be able to do that. Keep it up!

keep at it and push a bit more each time