Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

What is the best way to tell the difference between male and female gerbils at an early age?

I got two gerbils last January who had babies, who had babies ect. Basically, there have been three liters in the past year and now I have 12 gerbils. The last 2 were because I thought a boy was a girl so he was in the girl cage. So now the two liters are 4 and 5 weeks old, and I want to separate them as soon as possible.

Favorite Answer

From my personal experience, I really haven't noticed that much difference between males and females as far as general temperment goes although it is my personal opinion that males are just a little bit more mellow. Most of ours have been very sweet tempered and friendly. That being said, some of our males do become a bit aggressive if they catch the scent of another male whereas some of the others could care less. The females don't seem to care one way or the other.

We have only had one hamster that was a grouch but she was a rescue from our local humane society. Since I have no way of knowing what she experienced in her life prior to us getting her I don't think she counts.

Other than little nips when our guys were young and scared I've only been seriously bitten twice. Both times it was a male and both times it was my fault not theirs. In the first instance it was with a male who absolutely didn't like the scent of another male in his territory. I forgot to wash my hands and he thought my hand was another male hamster so he attacked it. The other time was with a hamster who hated to be picked up from behind. I ignored the warnings he gave me so he bit me when I persisted.

Hope this helped a little bit.

in case you raise there tail somewhat you could have the skill to work obtainable balls, I even have toddlers that are 4 weeks and weaning & they have balls , the puppy shops could be around six weeks old, so which you will definately have the skill to work obtainable balls. in a girl its in simple terms flat in a male there's a sparkling bump to be considered. i'm hoping this facilitates :)

check their areas... that's the best and most efficient way.