Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

can i substitute oil for butter?

i am just trying to make cookies and i heard that you can sub oil for butter. Can you?

Favorite Answer

It's not recommended for many reasons. Recently, I found a recipe for chocolate chip cookies using oil so figured I'd try it. First... the cookies don't spread out because there isn't any shortening/butter/margarine to melt. After the first cookie sheet I had to flatten them like you do with peanut butter cookies before baking. The texture and flavor are also completely different.

If you're looking for a healthy alternative in your choice of fat I have recently learned that Smart Balance makes a shortening that can be used by people on low cholesterol/low fat. It's only available in certain parts of the country but their Earth Balance (vegan brand) is available nationwide at health food and natural food stores. That stuff works like a dream but you have to add an extra tablespoon of water per 1/2 cup like you do when you sub with regular shortening instead of butter.

I was just asking myself the same thing about a (salty, not sweet) biscuit recipe, and found a tip on The Cook's Thesaurus:

"Avoid substituting oils for solid fats when baking cookies, cakes, and pastries; it will make the dish greasy and dense. If you must do so, substitute 3 parts oil for every 4 parts solid fat and consider increasing the amount of sugar and eggs in the recipe. Pie crusts made with oil aren't as flaky as those made with solid fat."

I've decided to proceed at my own peril. I guess I'd recommend for you to be ready to dump any oil-based batches you bake until you find the right balance. Good luck, and remember that there are some really good oil cookie recipes out there...Mom always made a super one she called "cinnamon buttons," and I'm sure the Internet has it by now.

you can substitute oil for butter but it is going to change the consistency of the cookie because butter has a lower burning point then oil. i would suggest Crisco not liquid oil

You can substitute shortening for butter, not oil. However, you can use applesauce instead of butter or shortening.

You can but you will need to use less than it says or the dough will be too thin, if it says 1 cup then you will need to use 1/2 to 3/4 cup

you can. it depends what kind of oil you are using. i would do vegi oil since it has flavor and if you are allergic to peanuts, don't have to worry about it. but you got to make sure and adjust your recipe otherwise it will come out watery.

I really dont know but u can use vegetable shortening...

I'm almost certain you can.