Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Are there any natural ways?

Are there any natural ways to help with depression? I have no energy, and am very moody. I am not overweight by any means (5 foot one and 96 pounds) and I am only 29. I want to feel like a normal 29 year old!!!

Favorite Answer

Change your diet. Best way without medication, eat more vegetables and fruit... Less fat.. Remember to take vitamins, you should start feeling different in 2 weeks or so... If you don't, then you might have to go with medication.

You've gotten some good answers. It's hard to say what's causing your depression with the information you give. Exercise has helped me a lot, as does being around positive people. What about the rest of your life? Do you work? Have kids? I guess I'm assuming you're a woman because of your size. Have you lost weight? That's another sign of depression.

Is there a reason you don't want to try meds? Sometimes they can just help you get out of the rut. Your family doctor might be able to help.

Christie

YES!! Go to bed earlier...10 pm if not earlier

Cut down on salt.

Get some kind of exercise every day in the fresh

air and sunshine

Don't eat late at night because you won't sleep well

Help someone else...in anything.

avoid alcohol and caffeine

what you eat really does affect how you feel...check out the website below for dietary recommendations for depression, also has herbs for depression.

• Jay M

St Johns' Wort

Pick up a hobby.

Talk with friends.

Pamper yourself with a bubble bath.

Go to a spa.

Know that the Holiday Season may have an effect on things, so they will get better.

Get some sun... could be Seasonal Affect Disorder (SAD)

Force a smile... then it becomes easier to smile again.

Realize that we've all been through it at one time or another and that you are normal.

I heard that St. John's Wart is a natural remedy for depression. I know chammomile tea relaxes and calms me. You may want to eat more foods and have a nice variety in your diet with some exercise.

Go help someone worse off than you. It is an answer no one likes here because they are afraid of change.

If you keep on thinking the way you've thought, you will keep on getting what you have always got.

If you want to change the way your are, you will have to change how you think and what you do.

No rocket science, but sometimes the easiest things to do seem the hardest. Crazy huh?

• Cammie

You should make sure you are eating the right foods- which many of us do not do when depressed-getting some exercise and sleeping well.

This may require professional help.

I hope you feel well soon.

Yes. I do not know where you live, but if it not too exspensive for you, there is a VERY good health food store in Alaska. Her name is Mary Kopf and she can tell you something that may be near you to buy. So Just thought I'd give you the number, who knows, you could live close! 907 - 456 - 5433

5-HTP supplement, St. John's Worth (Hypericum).

Talking treatments (psychotherapy) to deal with where does your depression come from (past traumas, repressed negative feelings, etc,)