Xfer2 asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

Should I tell the gift giver that the gift card's value is not what it says on the package?

My boss gave me a gift card which she handwrote "$20" on the card. But when I tried to use it, the actual value was only $5. Should I tell my boss that she gave me the wrong card or if the store short changed her $15 when she purchased the card?

Favorite Answer

Tough one but I'd tell her in case the store made a mistake.

Sometimes people attach a gift recipt to the card. If she didnt do this 1 of 2 things happend; She forgot or she stiffed you. Also there is a trend in gift card theft, where the offender doesnt steal the actual card, they write down the card ## and use it online. Either way, look into it. But don't be dissappointed if she stiffed you. By the way, did you buy her a gift?

I would definitly let her know. Just say "Hey I went to the store and was going to use the gift card you gave me, but I couldnt because according to them it had $5 on it, not the $20 you thought it should have...

Tell her your not looking for the extra 15 but you thought she might want to know incase she was shorted, and give her the card if she asks for it so she can fix the problem if there is indeed one.

$5 is more than most bosses give any way, but if she truelly meant for you to have $20 and thats what she paid for, than she needs to know.

• 2007

I would tell her because the store ripped her off. I got a gift card for $50 and they wanted to tell me the first time I used it that it was blank and I needed to put money on it... then the second time I try it with some one else they said it was not any problem at all.

That's actually happened to me. Personally, I wouldn't tell him/her because that would sound like you were wanting her to give you $15 when s/he didn't have to give you anything. It's not like you're out the money. If she truly meant to give you a $5 gift card (which seems kind of unlikely), but accidentally wrote $20, that would be a really uncomfortable situation for her/him. I would let it go if it were me.

I wouldn't say anything whether it is my boss or anyone else. It probably is an innocent mixup by your boss. Calling something like this out is a way of saying, "where's the missing $15?". A gift is a gift, regardless of value.

Yes, I surely would. No one gives a gift card for $5. I'm sure that your boss would agree that the clerk made a mistake.

Trust me on this. NO ONE GIVES A $5 GIFT CARD.

Cheers,

Mr. M on "gift card."

see friend, if i were u must have talked with my boss i real polite & careful manner because any word can pinch her i must have asked her that "Boss, the cost u have Mentioned is $20 but when i tried to use it the value was $5 please don't mind boss if am i wrong somewhere please let me know. This will do the Trick dear No rash words, u r safe & u have also let her know Rest on her, All the Best

• Lowa

I would, I'm sure your boss wants you to have the full value, and if he/she has a receipt or has the record of the $20 on his/her credit card, they can show that at the store.

Yes you should mention it. It can be very hectic when buying a large number of gift cards and they can easily get mixed up. I once had a customer who shredded the gift cards with money on them because she got them confused with ones she had used.