can anyone recommend a good, first, inexpensive telescope?

Favorite Answer

I would say telescope.com... They have lots of good quality telescopes there... Good luck!

Source(s): I have looked there... I would buy but I am broke.

It depends on what you mean by inexpensive.

You will not find a good or even partially decent telescope under $100.

Celestron and Meade make some super cheap telescopes for under $200 but they seriously lack in quality when it comes to the mounting systems...and the optics if it's a refractor.

$200 is a lot to spend on something so junky in my opinion. You'd be better off buying some good 7x50 binoculars which always come in handy in astronomy, and/or saving until you had about $400 or $500.

For $400 or $500 you can buy a brand new Orion 8" intelliscope dobsonian. An Orion 80mm apochromatic refractor, a Zhummel 10" dobsonian, a used 8" Schmidt Cassegrain, a used 10" Meade Starfinder, or a 6" Celestron newtonian on a stable, high quality german equatorial mount.

These are all serious telescopes and well worth your money. It's better to spend $400 on quality than $200 on junk.

• rob u

I bought a cheep 60mm reflector on QMC with tripod and 4 lens.

It was less then $70. After buying a better one two years later. I sold it to a pawn shop for $95

If it is a starter look for a 60mm 750 length with four lens,tripod,erector scope, and a doubler.

It good enough to see the rings of Saturn, the moons of Jupiter, see the phases of Venus and you can even see the moon move across the eye piece.

It is good for star clusters, sunspots(use proper care).

It's not good for seeing the surface of Mars.

You can see car plates more then a quarter of a mile away, watch deers in the field and large birds in the tall trees.

If you try hard enough you can take a digital photo by piggy back though the telescope.

for under $300, i would go with a Meade DS-2114LNT Reflector Telescope with LNT AutoAlign Technology. Also, consider an Orion StarMax 90mm EQ Maksutov-Cassegrain.

If you are buying a telescope for less than $200, you are probably not getting much power.

Hi! Yes, please go to the nearest Walmart Supercenter Vision Center (eyeglasses and contact lenses). They have good, inexpensive telescopes with the Walmart guarantee. I bought my son one for Christmas for under $50.00. Best of wishes and Happy New Year!

If u live in the city u will be disappointed . The city lights almost blind u ,especially if the humidity is high.

zoom 400