can you eat food off something that was painted with acrilic paint?

is it harmless or should i seal it?

Favorite Answer

It depends on the paint and the item you painted with it. Some clays, glass and paint contain lead or other toxic things and sealing the surface may still not make it safe for food. The paint and/or the sealer may leech lead or toxins thru it to your food right away or over time.

Make sure the paint, the item you painted AND the sealer are all FDA food- safe approved.

I think that if it's totally covered and if it's been completely "cured" (at least a week), acrylic paint should be safe (and a little like eating off of vinyl).

It should seal what's underneath too, but I don't know if I'd trust anything really not-good-for-you underneath it just on general principles.

P.S. If you do seal it, you'll generally be sealing it with something else acrylic, or you'll be using a solvent-based sealer which could be more easily eaten into by acidic foods, etc. (but don't know that).... think I'd feel better about the acrylic.

Diane B.

no