If a ligament runs out of its place,what should we do?Will it recover by itself?

After a sports game, I landed wrongly. This has resulted in my leg being swollen for a long time. I massaged it myself and used crutches to help me walk. I was told to apply a cold compress and that my ligament was out of place. It has been 3 weeks and I still feel pain.

After a sports game, I landed wrongly. This has resulted in my leg being swollen for a long time. I massaged it myself and used crutches to help me walk. I was told to apply a cold compress and that my ligament was out of place and there is fluid in that region. It has been 3 weeks and I still feel pain. The swelling has gone down though.

Sorry knee

Favorite Answer

Is it your knee that was injured? If so, it sounds like you have torn your ACL (anterior cruciate ligament). I would recommend seeing an orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in sports medicine. This really isn't an injury that will heal on its own. The swelling may go down, and the pain may ease, but you could end up with chronic instability. You can go to www.aaos.org to find an orthopaedic surgeon in your area.

• rbarc

If it's been 3 weeks, I would go to the doctor and have it checked. Ligament problems can be very serious, if that is truly what it is. If it is a broken bone, you don't want it to heal wrong, that could cause more problems in the future. It might be just a bad sprain. In any case, go to the doctor.

What part of your leg... ankle or knee? We need a little more info.