promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Should the US Secretary of Defense be an active duty member of the military?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It was decided by the Founders that the military should be under civilian control, to reduce the possibility of a military coup. If an active-duty officer gets into politics at all, he must resign his commission.

That's a double no, then.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

No way. Secretary of Defense is a political position and therefore must be a civilian. No way around it vis a vis the Consitution, and that is definitely for the best because the most dangerous threat to individual liberty is the concentration of power. Your proposal would lower the barriers to the concentration of power.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

In theory a civilian prevents the military coup

But since America is already controlled by Plutocrats. It really doesn't make any difference any more.

Go big Red Go

• 1 decade ago

Only if you suspend that pesky document called 'The Constitution of the United States of America'

Source(s): I paid attention in History class.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Not necessarily, though they should certainly display a sizeable knowledge of what the military does, how it works, and how that relates to the people who are in it, as well as the way it impacts those not in it.

• Q-burt
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Yes.

But I am one of these crazies that believe and political position above Governor should require a military background...

• 1 decade ago

Y E S, someone who has already been there and who

has walk the walk and talk the talk instead of some civillian

who has never been in the military!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 decade ago

wow, that's gotta be the most interesting proposition i've heard in a long time. it would certainly cut down on the number of wars, wouldn't it?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i belive so , because a secretary of defense should be willing to send troops into a job , that he would do or not do himself

Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Might as well but you know good and well that person would not put their life on the line. Thats why they have army, navy, and marines to do all the dirty work.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.