Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareOther - General Health Care · 1 decade ago

Health Insurance Cost?

I'm 26 years old and I have Blue Cross Blue Shield in North Carolina. My health is probably okay but I want some tests done to be absolutely sure. Unfortunately my rates are going up and my deductible is going back to $0 (I think) this January. At the new price it'll cost nearly a third of my income each month. The reason I got insurance was to get a few things checked out and possibly start allergy shots (my seasonal allergies get pretty bad) yet due to the deductible I couldn't and can't get those things done. I really need my money for other bills but my health is important to me. Should I cancel my insurance and if I do are there any penalties? Thank you.

I got my insurance on my own seperate from my employer.

Favorite Answer

Whatever you do, keep your insurance!!!!!!!!! I just finished paying for my share of my daughter's injuries due to a car accident. Insurance paid most (just under $280,000). I had to pay about $5,000. Trust me, as soon as you don't have it, you'll wish you did.

No there are no penalties if you cancel, even if its in the middle of the year. What you could do is find a local insurance agent & have him give you a quote. They look at several different companies & tell you what the cost of each would be. You may want to think of having a higher deductible. This year I went up to a $2500 deductible instead of the $1000 that I had last year, for that reason....they raised my rate. Also Just because you will be starting over in the new year @ 0, doesnt really mean much, yeah you will have to pay a little more, but the doctors still adjust the rate for the insurance company. then you can always just make payments to the doctor, you will just have to pay your co-pay upfront. Hope this helped some...

GOOD LUCK!

• Becca

I agree that you should definitely not cancel your insurance under any circumstances. That doesn't mean a cheaper policy won't do. You can shop around. An HMO is a hassle, but they are usually cheaper than PPO. You cannot always choose your doctor, and you will need referrals, which usually are not hard to get. Plus, you already know you have allergies. You never know what else might happen.

There's a company out there that helps people who do not have and need affordable health benefits. It includes regular office visits, any specialists and even pre-existing conditions. It basically includes everything you need help paying for. Their medical plan includes dental, vision, prescription and chiropractic benefits as well. There's no high premiums, deductibles, co-pays, waiting periods, claims forms or anything like that at all. They can save you up to 80% on your out of pocket expenses for a very small fee every month. It could end up saving you a lot of $$ over traditional insurance. Try this website and you can check out the specifics and providers in your area. http://www.everyonebenefits.com/40424269/ If your provider isn't on there, he can be added. They are a wonderful company and are members of the BBB. I have benefits through them as well. Hope you find what you need. Please email me if you have any questions, and I'd be happy to help you if I can. Best of luck.

Blue Cross may be the best at closing deals. But they may not offer the lowest insurance rate. Check out some other companies, you might be pleasantly surprised. http://www.freeinsuranceresource.com/healthinsuran...

It depends on the policy and on your employer if you can cancel or not and if there are penalties.

I would check in to it and see if you can get your own policy. I had to do that for a time and it was cheaper than my employers insurance.

I recommend you to try this site where you can compare rates from the best companies: http://QUOTES-FOR-INSURANCE.NET/index.html?src=5YA...

RE :Health Insurance Cost?

Update: I got my insurance on my own seperate from my employer.

Follow 7 answers

Source(s): I recommend you to try this site where you can compare rates from the best companies: http://QUOTES-FOR-INSURANCE.NET/index.html?src=5YA...