promotion image of download ymail app
Lv 4
ktlove asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 1 decade ago

how do you find siblings from your fathers side...?

if i dont know their names, or their mothers name, or thier

or ages. just know that they are way older than you, and have an idea where they were born?

if my fathers name was on the birth certificate, would i be able to find them that way? some how? how would i track down how many children he has had, if hes passed away?

nobody in my family talks about this, now and then you get to hear a roomer or two about names or locations

6 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    I have been in a simular situation. First, these half siblings of yours are adults and your father is no longer in the picture. There is nothing they can take from him or expect from him.

    Find the relative who might be willing to talk to you about this in private. (There is always that one relative who will talk about anything) Reasure this relative this is about adult children who can handle adult situations. Your father is no longer around to get hurt in any of this. Have passion and sincerity in your voice.

    Take good notes if you do get told anything. Make 2 lists, one with possitive facts and "could be" facts. Names, dates, times, cities, states, employeers, occupations, church attended, basically anything that could tye the story together or help locate your siblings.

    Once you do that, go to places like adoption. com and Cousin connect to post a search with the info you have.

    Even if they are not looking, people who get board while online sometimes type in their own names to see what comes up.

    (I found an aunt I did not know exsisted by typing in my grandpa's name one night. I just got board and typed in his name for the heck of it.... He had given a daughter up for adoption and she had a post that was 3 years old, still out there on the Internet!)

    Again, play on those relatives who might be the keepers of secrets and play on their sympathy. (This is how I finally got the name of my birth father. My aunt finally could not hold it in any longer. I wore her guilt down to the bone, even though I was not 100% positive my father was not really my father.)

    If you were to get names, look them up on the internet and a fabulous place to start is I have found tons of adoption-birthfamily matches from those who registered on that site.

    I hope this helps some. Don't give up and be persistant!

    Good Luck!!

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Your going to have to become your own private eye.

    If your father is deceased you could Goggle him and see what comes up, you could go to FamilySearch(LDS) site and see if they have any records. Or you could go to the State GenWeb site for the states involved and see if they have any records for him.

    If you know your father's full name, where he was when these children were born, go to the newspaper and look through the birth announcements. Most birth announcements are in the paper, even if the half-sibs are older than you, they maybe in the paper. Assuming your Dad and the Mom were married, they would have the same last name, if not married the children might have their Mom's last name. It will be harder to do if it is not in your town. But the library maybe able to help you, inter-library loan them. esp if they are on film for at use at the library.

    You could try the courthouse for birth records under your father's name, but I don't know if it is possible, I have never looked for someone who's name I didn't have.

    As with any search one does it starts in your backyard by talking to your relatives, Aunt, Uncle, cousin, Grandparents etc. Sometimes just over coffee a few questions, will open doors.

    Good Luck

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    They would be half-siblings, and it is spelled "rumor".

    I can think of some things.

    1) Look your late father up on Roots Web World Connect. Use just his surname and your mother's surname. If he is there as "Living Pomeroy" with spouses "Living McCorkle", "Living Jones" and "Living Johnson", write to the data base owner, explain what you need and ask him/her to help. RWWC often uses "Living" as a given name for people born after 1900 or 1920, even though they are dead.

    2) Find a web-based national phone book. Look up everyone with his surname in the county you suspect they were born in. (If his last name was Smith and he lived in Chicago, forget it.) Write them a letter, enclosing a stamped, self-addressed envelope. In the first paragraph, say how you found them, why you are writing, and assure the person you don't want money and are not selling anything.

    3) Put a post on the appropriate GenForum surname board and county board.

    4) Take out a personal classified advertisement in the largest newspaper in the suspected county.

    5) Aunts, uncles or cousins on his side? Sorry; I had to ask.

    You may never find them, short of hiring a private eye. Most genealogy is about dead people, so you will probably not find them on any of the genealogy sites. Birth records, in particular, are not on the web.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Take the birth certificate to the Salvation Army records and ask for them to locate through their sources and data bases for missing family members. Although there is no set fee for this, be kind to them as they are all avery dedicated a true group of people that help lots with families that lost touch with each other all over the world.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Census records don't lie.

    If you have old addresses, check out the records on the web. You can get a profile of his household in each of the decade years (2000, 1990, 1980, 1970, etc.)

    Source(s):, US Census Bureau on line
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Try the United States Census .

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.