When people are diagnosed with certain disorders is it good to immediately prescribe medication?

Favorite Answer

Depends on the condition. If it's something that requires an antibiotic or antiviral medication, absolutely start immediately (atlhough I would also add probiotics at the same time).

If it's something non life threatening and the person would rather try alternative therapies, dietary changes, etc - then I think it's a case by case decision.

For example, I have a friend who was diagnosed with high cholesterol and the doc wanted to put him on Lipitor. He is an alternative healer and preferred to change his diet and use herbs and vitamin/mineral supplements instead. He did, and his cholesterol went down nicely.

Others may not have been as good about the diet changes and may be better off with medication.

Hope this helps.

That depends on the disorder. If the medication will help and there are minimal side effects and other impacts on the system, then yes. But you have to weigh all the factors, including alternative ways to help the disorder, second opinions, personal preferences, etc.