What is the friendliest base in the states?

My husband is going fulltime army so we will be moving soon.. He was in the national guard. I am excited. He says we might get to pick from a few bases and I was just wondering where ya'll thought was the best. You know friendly folksand family oriented .

Thanks for telling me to get in writing. I wouldnt have thought of that. What about the one in colorado springs? Is it nice?

Thanks for all the replies. I will have to remember to say post next time. Thank you.

Favorite Answer

Hello from south of Fort Carson - ugly post & city too crowded,

rents high, but hey it's Colorado! besides one can live in Pueblo and drive the 35 miles easy.

BTW: it is "Fort" or "Post" never base, a base is where one finds sailors or US Air Force types. They shop at the BX, Army shops at the PX! Folks will look at you funny if you say "base", assume you are Air Force wife, etc.

Fort Sam Houston is great but well mostly medics. guess it all depends on cost of living and climate.

Most every Army Fort has a good website! With many details as to facilities and housing! Visit them.

I liked Fort Apache but it has closed :-) (old Army here)

Welcome to our "Army Family"

Oh, Fort Carson is spending like 800 million on new construction, etc, expanding by 10,000 or so.

My personal favorite was San Antonio (Fort Sam Houston). I'm saying that more for the town than the base. When considering bases only, all of them we were at were pretty equal in my book.

wtf is right - get it in writing.

When I was in, I always heard Fort Lewis was the place to go.

I was at Fort Sill and in Germany, but had no family at the time.

Good luck on getting the base you want. If they do promise it, make sure to get it in writing. When I went in I asked for Georgia, Hawaii, and Germany. I got stuck in Louisiana, go figure.

Source(s): Vet
  • ?

Colorado Springs is fantastic! Fort Carson is a toilet. But that's just my opinion. If you get stationed there, tell your hubby to go the 858 QM Co., the 5025th GSU and give them all a kick in the nads from me. Email me and I will tell you my name.

Ft.Lewis ......hahahaha Yeah, I suppose if you like the HIGH crime/violence of Tacoma and the surrounding towns. If you go there, be prepared to drive 20-30 min ONE-WAY for a decent town to live in.

the andrews air force base

fort lewis is pretty nice. my fiance is stationed there