Do you think they'll start selling maternity clothes in the Junior section soon?

I was at the mall last night and walked past the maternity section. For some reason I thought "Wouldn't suprise me if someday they had maternity clothes in the Junior department soon."

I mean, what is this world coming to? 13 & 14 yr. old girls having babies when about 3 yrs. before that they were playing with baby dolls? Can we stop this? Is there ANY hope that someday you won't see a pregnant 16 yr. old walking down the street with her 1 yr. old on her hip and her 3 yr. old tagging behind?

Favorite Answer

They're selling some remarkably trashy stuff under the auspices of maternity wear nowadays -- it's almost at the point where it's hard to find a plain shirt that isn't a low-cut skin-tight thing.

That, and all the bad-taste printed t-shirts -- 'Who's your daddy?' -- 'I'm really an A-cup!' -- make me think that's kinda already happened.

That said, though, it wasn't that long ago that pregnancy at a young age was normal. So was death at a comparatively young age, yes...

Yikes! I hope not!! But I never thought about it before.

I doubt that there will ever be a maternity section in the junior section in our lifetime... just think of all the controversy it would create! (If JCPenny, for example did, they'd get more negative press about how they're "accepting" birth control issues amongst teens than they would actually get pregnant teen mothers as customers!) Unless society REALLY changes, I doubt that this will ever happen.

The town I live in has a really good program educating its teens about birth control and what "Doing IT" early on can do to your life. Let's hope that other places do this too.

It's nice to know that someone else out there is concerned...

:)

I hope they don't have a "junior maternity" section! these people are supposed to take care of the previous generation when we get old...how will that happen if they're all babies having babies? a scary thought for the future of our country and the world...

nobody completing college because they all had to drop out of high school at 15 years old to raise babies and drain our welfare system.

This a horribly ignorant question. Instead of mocking this sad situation, why not do your part to make sure safe sex is promoted, sex education is more widely available, and that 13 and 14 yr. old girls have some place safe to go to afterschool and on the weekends (since the majority of reason they commit to sexual activity is problems at home and a yearning for attention) For example, vote to put people in office that have this as a platform.

While I see where you are coming from and while I was a pregnant 17 year old, I worry my daughter will follow in my footsteps. Teenagers have been getting pregnant forever. There was a time when they were made to marry the baby's father as with my grandparents generation. In my moms generation they were sent away to live with relatives until they had the baby and gave it up for adoption. In my generation, abortion was the route most chose, and in my daughters generation they chose to have and keep the baby (sometimes babies). Im a big believer in providing birth control for our children. They will do it with or without it, best to do it with it.

• They might, but not possibly really dedicated to the young girls who get pregnant.

I know my mother-in-law (who won't be having any babies of her own again) can rarely find clothes that fit her in any other department then the "Junior" department.

Some women are just small, and it's the only department they can find anything to fit into.

I wouldn't mind if they sold maternity clothes in the junior department even though I am 21 and married I love the hip junior clothes and considering I am a size 1 it would be helpful.

I think they will bwcause of the increase in teen pregnancies. Someone out there will get smart and make a LOT of money off a teen maternity clothing line. I'm sure of it!

• b&g4me

it won't stop until the parents of all the teenagers take a more active role in their kids life. I have a 7 month old son and a daughter on the way and it will be FROSTY day in He!! that either on of them comes home and tells me they are going to be a parent when they are in their teens! I would rather have them hate me for being in their face when they are young then hate me when they are grown cause i wasn't in their face as kids.

Source(s): mum21&1otw
  • Cammie

I understand how you feel. It saddens me to see such a sight too.

We need more sex education from both parents and the school.We need to make it clear that having a baby in your teens is NOT acceptable.

I wish there was a way to give young women self confidence to not become pregnant.

Great question.