promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

how do i change the transmission fluid on my civic?

i have a 2001 honda civic manual 5spd how do you drain the transmission fluid and fill it, where are the bolts for these, and what is the best oil i should use, should any 10w-30 oil work???

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

um i wouldnt put 10w30 in your transmission.........

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Tom-SJ
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

There are two plugs (bolts) for the manual transmission.

The filler plug is the upper one on the back of the transmission - it has a hex head you remove with a conventional box or open-end wrench.

The drain plug is the lower one - use a metric hex key (Allen) wrench on it.

Remove both plugs, catch the oil in a pan, transfer to a 2-qt or larger plastic jug and recycle the oil.

You will need new compression washers for both bolts when you replace them. Install a washer and tighten the drain plug to 29 ft-lbs of torque.

Fill the new oil (1.9 US quarts of Honda Manual Transmission Oil) with a hand pump thru the upper fill hole, until the oil just touches the bottom threads of the fill hole. Wipe off any excess, install a new washer and secure the fill plug to 33 ft-lbs of torque.

Do not use conventional or synthetic motor oil because they do not have the additives specified by Honda.

• first of all check your owners manual for the correct fluid..the transmission drain and fill are on the passenger side..getting under the car will be fun its low to ground ..first find the drain its on the bottom near the rear..once you do that take you hand and go up ..you should be able to find the fill..it might be easier to have the trans done when changing the oil..sometimes..its easier to pay some one..than spend your whole day doing something that takes 5 minutes in a shop

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Tom SJ :man that was really good!!

only let add something,the bottom plug(drain plug)is 3/8 drive,square, so,You may stick the ratchet in it,will work fine

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

lol go to pep boys or something like a jiffy lube because if you screw it up its on you if they screw it up its on them. DO NOT PUT 1030 in it its transmission fluid, NOT ENGINE OIL

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.