Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & Employment · 1 decade ago

Should I tell my current boss that I am looking for another job elsewhere?

I enjoy the coworkers I have now, but I am really bored in what I do. And I just applied for 2 other jobs that may have coworkers that are harder to deal with but pay more. Yes, the money is a motivator but I feel i'd enjoy the variety of these jobs more. Should I be honest with my boss about my intentions?

Favorite Answer

Definately NOT recommended!!!

If your boss knows that you're planning on leaving, you will lose your value to him/her.

If your boss is anything of the spiteful type, you might find your schedule getting slimmer, less and less hours, less pay, less tolerance for errors(not that you make errors), more criticism, etc.

Also, you may find that you have been replaced even before you find another job! Where will you be then?

On the same note; you might also want to request to potential future employers that they NOT notify your current employer. And, let the future employer know that you will need two weeks to give your current employer notice.This will let your new boss know that you are dependable, and that will show him that you won't stiff him later on.

Source(s): I've been on both sides of this situation: As employer and as an employee.

My suggestion is that you have to make sure that you already have the job that you applied for before you tell your boss. Think about this, if you tell your boss about it right now, he may offer you a raise or a promotion let's just say, but at the back of his mind, he already knows that you are planning to leave and he may use that against you. If he offers a raise or a promotion, never accept it because he might just be testing your loyalty. If you change your mind and decides to stay, he might even fire you to get back at you! So to sum it up, be firm with your decision. If you want to look for another job, make sure you get the job first before you tell your boss because you might end up jobless if you don't. Good luck!

No no absolutely not! You would only tell your boss that you have an intention of leaving only when you are READY to leave (NOT when you are just 'thinking about it'). First, you don't want to burn your bridges so of course you should give the standard 2 weeks notice when you are ready to go. Second, the reason why you wouldnt want to just tell your boss your thoughts so soon is because you just may change your mind about leaving- that could happen. So be sure of what you want to do first and then when you have a plan, you can tell your boss what you are about to do.

Source(s): I've had plenty of part time/full time jobs all through highschool and college. I have a great job today because of my positive relationship with my supervisors from previous jobs.

Yes, be honest... Make sure he knows you are leaving for a job that is more fufilling for you, and I'm sure he will understand. Make sure he also knows that you are planning to give a full 2 weeks notice before you leave. This will not only be the right thing to do but will give you a great reference!

Might want to wait though until you at least get a promising interview/offer or 2. =)

If you are really sure that the jobs you applied for, you are gonna get one of them..then better tell your boss about it. May be he understands you and who knows may be he offers you more pay than the new company you are gonna join..THINK POSITIVE.

No, telling him you are shopping gives him a license to find your replacement--if he does that faster than you find a job, you are unemployed.

As soon as you find something, give your boss notice, and insist that your new employer give you at least two weeks to give notice to your current. But don't quit a job till you have a new job.

• emrich

No way you tell your contemporary boss your searching for a clean pastime. think of of it this way, they does no longer provide you a warning that they have got been going to hearth you, so why could you provide them a warning which you "could" go away. once you're an hourly worker they could pay you for all of the hours you paintings. i'm fairly specific that that's a call for for well being care to be provided for complete time workers too. in case you could record/show that they are not paying you for all of the time you placed it you ought to sue them in the experience that your fired. once you interview for a clean pastime, tell them to no longer call your contemporary corporation and tell them why. maximum potential employers won't call references till they are going to furnish you the pastime.

It depends on how close you are with your boss and his/her personality.

If you are pretty close with your boss and he/she is a type of person who's understanding. Then it is okay to tell him/her.

but, on the safe side, I think you should tell him/her when you already got the offer. in case they'll cut off your bonus or fire you...

Ask yourself : Do you want to involuntarily leave now?

Your boss my just let you go before you have that job, then you will be unemployed (fired) & looking.

no not until you are hired at another job, then give your notice cause your boss may decide to terminate you.