How do I detach the sound card from my pc tower (it is a gateway pc)? Can it be transferred to a dell pc?

Favorite Answer

What matters is the motherboard. If the motherboard is compatible and there is a slot for it, there should be no problem.

When switching, turn off your PC, disconnect the plug, push and hold the ON button for 20 seconds. Hopefully, it will prevent shocks. Then, just find your sound card and pull it out of the slot (carefully).

If your sound card is built in, though, you probably will not be able to detach it.

You should have not problems if the sound is not part of the motherboard. If it is a PCI card you would just need to shut down your computer and open the case, look at the back to see which card is your sound card and pull that out by unsecuring the mounting screw that is attaches it to the case off. I would suggest pulling from the part that was attached to the case as you will not want to touch it really.

To install reverse this, start up your Dell and hopefully it will automatically install the drivers. If it doesn't look in your system in the control panel to find the brand name and type and download the drivers from the web.