Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

why does my dog foam at the mouth when he eats his food?

he does this only when he eats his dog food, it's not the food, the other dogs do fine...no foaming. and please, no rabies jokes, he's very healthy and vaccinated. any ideas out there? not worried, just curious

Favorite Answer

MAYBE HE'S FOOD AGGRESSIVE!!!!

Is he actually foaming at the mouth or does he just have a drooling problem. Some dogs are messy eaters and get a foamy looking mess of food and saliva around their mouths. If that's not what it looks like, I would be afraid that he's allergic to something in his food and check with the vet.

lol as long as he is not foaming and barking at you! its perfectly normal, this happens when the dog mouth is dry and he eats his food the starch from the food makes it dryer causing the foam, some dogs just decided they want there food before there water thats all. you would know a diffrence if he drinks before he eats his food.

Does he eat a lot and very fast?

Ive seen dogs foam when they get excited about something

A dog should be trained on how to eat, walk with you, not to bark, potty training and sleep on its place etc. You can teach anything to your puppy, dogs get trained easily with some good instructions. If you want some good training tips visit https://tr.im/ompaT

If properly trained, they should also understand whistle and gesture equivalents for all the relevant commands, e.g. short whistle or finger raised sit, long whistle or flat hand lay down, and so on.

It's important that they also get gestures and whistles as voice may not be sufficient over long distances and under certain circumstances.

no your dog doesn't have rabies my dog us to that it comes from them having alot of spit in there mouths that mixed with the starches in the food that causes the foaming...

• Chetco

He is breathing heavily as he eats, and mixing a lot of air in with his food. If you want him to 'foam' less, then feed smaller amounts and more frequently..

Source(s): dog breeder since 1968
  • Emmy

He likes his food, so he's getting all drooly over it. Seriously. Some dogs get so excited about food that they drool, and it's usually kind of foamy. Probably nothing to worry about.

well he probably just eats way too fast if you dont want him to anymore you can get him one of those automatic feeders that give food out only a little at a time.

but it isnt bad for his health or anything my friends dog does that too but it doesnt really matter. is it a lab? because they eat really fast thats what my friends dog is.

If could be that he gets excited. I have a dog that does that too when he sees food. If you r really concerned about it, contact a vet.

he is just exited my sisters dog always has done that ever since she was a pupy

Source(s): my sisters dog