Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 decade ago

Is this legal?

My exhusband just told me he had a private investagator follow me while we were going through our divorce. If he's still doing that is it legal?

The reason he did it was to see if I was leaving him for someone else. I left him because he's a drunk and always will be.

Favorite Answer

yup its totally legal.. doesnt that suck??!?!?!?

• toff

As far as I know it is legal. Not being nosy but how did you come out money wise? If you have alimony and can afford it you need to travel a bit. Use his alimony to do it. It's a great double whammy. Send him a postcard thanking him for the trip. The private eye will also be sending him something. A bill for his travel expenses. They say Vienna is gorgeous this time of year.

Once the divorce is final, it is not legal.

If he is a substance abuser, please sleep with one eye open once you move out.

Change your phone number, dont forward your mail, just notify your bill collectors on your new address.

If you work, try to pursuade your employer to screen your calls and tell callers you no longer work there.

Substance abusers dont let go for a very long time and will sometimes make your life more unbearbable than when you lived with them and become more violent.

If he does not seek the help he needs, your never really free because you were included in his disease and now he has a harder time coping and will abuse his habits more.

Take care and be safe.

Yes, it's legal for your ex-husband to hire a prive investigator, and for the private investigator to follow you in the course of his work, regardless of the purpose.

However, you could make a case for harassment and emotional distress. First, politely but firmly ask your ex-husband to stop having you followed, and ask for the name of the private investigator so you can confirm that he is no longer following you. If he refuses, or you suspect he is still having you followed, go talk to your lawyer and see if you can get a court order to have him stop.

Yes it's legal for anyone to have you followed by a PI...

However, you can file suit for a restraining order from the PI...which most people don't do because it's money that is involved for litigation. But you can use this again your ex in court should you suffer any monetary losses but you would need to prove your case that it was your ex husband that hired the PI.

Of course it is. A reputable private investigator would not participate in illegal activities if a long career was desired.

You hold the power here. He's spending money to learn what you are doing, and, you can do any darn thing you want. If I were you I would start putting together some pretty interesting scenarios for him, provided you lay the groundwork of proof beforehand that it is all a rouse just to give him what he deserves.

Did you feel you were being stalked?

Why would your exhusband tell you this now? What is his reason for doing so? That's what should be interesting you.

I am not an expert in law, but I believe its legal for someone to hire a private investigator. As long as he is not breaking any laws like stalking you, harassing you, its perfectly legal. He also cannot tape your conversations because thats illegal.

Yes

Totally legal

I would imagine that if it wasn't the P.I. would tell your ex so. Sounds kind of strange but sometimes our rights are so invisible and uneven. It's his money and why he would have you followed is unclear. But the fact that he has shared this info with you, perhaps you could speak with your lawyer and have the judge make him cease this invasion of your privacy. Best of luck.

Source(s): 51 years life experience