What is the best mattress for someone with back pain and restless sleep. I had surgery last year!?

Favorite Answer

First, I highly recommend buying a king sized bed so that you have space to move around and be comfortable while you sleep. Next, go and lie down on all the mattresses at the store and see which one you like best. My sister has a tempurpedic mattress and swears by it but I didn't like it at all when I tried it at the store. My husband and I just bought a king sized bed and we've noticed that we sleep better and feel better when we wake up.

I also highly recommend massage as one part of treatment for chronic back issues - there's a lot of healing that happens when your muscles relax and your circulation improves. I hope that you find the mattress that works for you.

A few years ago I bought a full depth Tempur-Pedic and it is great for the back. Admittedly it is strange at first to sleep on it, but you quickly get used to it and will appreciate the comfort. One of the selling points of the mattress is their 30 day (or more, I am not sure) trial period. If you don't like it, they will take it back. How could I lose? Just pick a good mattress store and have it delivered and setup for you, as they are quite heavy.

I don't think that there is one "best" mattress.

People will recommend whatever worked for them but there is no guarantee that it will work for you. It is the old YMMV (your mileage may vary) thing.

Most will agree that a super-soft mattress with hammocking effect is probably bad for your back. Most people prefer firmer mattresses. If you have the money, you can always try the sleep number mattress and see which level of firmness is best for you.

PS: I do not have a sleep number bed and I am in no way affiliated with them.

Believe it or not, you don't need a super firm mattress. What you need is a good quality mattress that supports your spine. So you can with a plush or firm mattress with great spinal support.

They do not come cheap so you should expect to pay at least $1000.

I have sciatica, my wife has back issues also, we bought a tempur-pedic last year, I can honestly say that we both felt much better almost from the start. They are pricey, but in our opinion, well worth the price..