emy asked in TravelUnited StatesLos Angeles · 1 decade ago

What local transportation do Los Angeles has?

I'm planning to go to Los Angeles for a few days. I have never been there. I'm not going to rent a car, and my budget is too low for taking cabs. Can you tell me what local transportation can I take to go to the most visited area for tourist, such as Rodeo Dr. Universal Studios, Hollywood etc.

I live in New York and I used to take subway and sometimes the bus to visit place around the city.

Can you give me a website where I can see a bus or subway Map & Schedule for LA.

Thanks a lot.

Happy New Year!

Favorite Answer

the Metro which what the public transit here in Los Angeles

has a pretty good system for the area it covers.

you can get a all day pass for $3.00 good on any service operated

by the Metro including Red Line

if you are starting from downtown and wanted to to Universal

studios, you can board the red line at Union station, first go to the Ticket Vending machine and get a day pass. for = $3.00

then you board the RedLine make sure it says No Hollywood on the head sign -its about 20 minute trip through Hollywood to

the Universal City station,then follow the crowds out to

Lakershierm cross the street and you will see shuttle

stop for the Universal city tram that will take up the hill to the studios/city walk

if you wanted to go Rodeo drive again I assume you are near Union station)

take the Red Line to Santa Monica blvd then board

a Local Metro bus Line 4 that will take to Rodeo drive and Santa Monica.

and if you wanted Hollywood again the Red Line to say Hollywood/Vine.

Source(s): I'm a public tranist expert on transit in Los Angeles

http://www.mta.net/ has bus and rail maps of the Los Angeles area. You can pick up the Green line near LAX. I know that the Red line stops at Universal Studios. The Gold line heads to Pasadena, which is pretty nice. But you will have to deal with the bus to get to Rodeo Dr. Just be warned that it takes a lot longer to get from point A to point B because L.A. attractions are all spread out.

The Metro red line is great, i love riding the subway into downtown, it will get you to Universal Studios, Hollywood, and downtown. The $3 pass is also good for the Metro buses, havent ever rode the bus though.

Hi Emy:

Welcome to LA! You will see it is very differfent from NY as far as public transportation is concerned.

Cabs are non-existent and public transportation is not reliable.

Rental cars are extremely cheap here. You may be better off renting a ride than trying to do the bus.

I'm from Philly. I grew up taking subways and buses. I have never been on one in LA.

The Metro is extremely your basically selection and it incorporates the buses and restricted mild rail we've. counting on your utilization you'll likely favor to get a weekly or month-to-month bypass. It covers the city extremely good do exactly not plan on getting everywhere too quickly. Google Metro for extra information.

Metro! Buses, taxis..