My Dell laptop won't turn on?

I have a Dell SmartStep 100n. I know the battery in it has been dead for sometime now. It has been working fine just plugging into the wall even with the battery in the laptop. The computer still tries to charge the battery but it will never charge. Recently I took the battery out to see the model number to order a new one. The laptop worked with the battery out but then I accidently pulled the power cord out a few times when the computer was on, forcing it to make a hard shut down. Now the computer won't turn on at all. Maybe it has a timed saftey mechanism that won't let me turn it on for a certain period of time since I unplugged it a few times? Maybe it's trying to run of the dead battery now for some reason? Could I have damaged the laptop in someway electically by accidently unplugging it? Please help!!

I ordered a new battery for it. Do you think that may help?

Favorite Answer

Well, it's possible you may have damaged the laptop, but it's hard to say. I've done that before without any major problems. There isn't a timing mechanism though.

Silly question, but easily answered...DOUBLE CHECK your power supply from the outlet. Does the outlet have power? Test it with another device. Are you plugged in to a surge protector? Make sure the switch is on for it and it is powered. Any time there is a juice problem, double check all the little guys first.

It is possible that you did some electrical damage to it. I would try putting the battery in, plugging it in and try turning it on.

Listen closely for any kinds of sounds and watch closely for any lights.

Next, I would try taking the battery out, unplugging it, putting the battery back (yes, even though you are telling me the battery is dead), and then turning it on.

Also, if you do get it to come on, you may want to find a way to backup any of your documents that you may need later...

Sell it now for cheap on ebay becuase this thing is dead. The power connector is dead and to replace it would be a real long job. Hey its just hang again thumbs up dude. ;)

i think your problem lies in the fact that it is a dell, you may wanna get that fixed