can someone tell me a recipe using " fried green tomatoes "?
- 1 decade agoFavorite Answer
Fried Green Tomatoes
4 medium fresh green tomatoes
1 to 2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup butter
Core tomatoes and cut into 1/2-inch slices. Sprinkle with salt. Dip tomato slices into egg then into bread crumbs. Heat butter in a large heavy skillet over medium low heat. Fry tomato slices (in a single layer) until browned on both sides. Serves 4 to 6.Source(s): www.google.co.uk
- 1 decade ago
Fried Green Tomato Lasagna
SUBMITTED BY: Alice Colgan Reitz
•4 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
•1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
•2 tablespoons sugar
•2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
•1 garlic clove, minced
•1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
•1/8 teaspoon pepper
•5 tablespoons butter or margarine
•4 large tomatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices
•1/2 cup all-purpose flour
•6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
•2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1.In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; set aside. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Dip green tomato slices in flour; brown in skillet on both sides. Remove to paper towels to drain. Spoon 3/4 cup tomato mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2 in. baking dish. Top with a third of the green tomatoes; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining tomato mixture and mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- 1 decade ago
fried green tomato and egg hollandaise
3 or 4 large firm green tomatoes
2 cups vegetable or peanut oil, for deep-frying
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups self-rising flour
6 slices bacon, cut in 1/2 and cooked until crisp
6 eggs, poached
Hollandaise sauce, recipe follows
Slice the tomatoes 1/4-inch thick. Lay them out in a shallow baking pan and sprinkle with salt. Place the tomato slices in a colander and allow time for the salt to pull the water out of the tomatoes, approximately 30 minutes. In a skillet, heat the oil for deep-frying over medium-high heat. Dip the tomatoes into buttermilk, then dredge them in flour. Deep-fry until golden brown. Keep warm.
Meanwhile, prepare Hollandaise Sauce.
To assemble each serving, place 2 fried tomatoes on a plate. Top with 2 strips of cooked bacon in a criss-cross fashion. Top bacon with a poached egg, spoon on Hollandaise Sauce.
2 egg yolks
4 tablespoons cream
2 large tablespoons butter
1/2 lemon, juiced
Chicken broth, optional
1 tablespoon white vinegar
Combine all ingredients in the top of a double boiler, over boiling water. Stir until thick, approximately 3 minutes; set aside until ready to use. Do not reheat or cover the pot. Thin, if needed with a little chicken broth. Stir in the vinegar. Use immediately.
- 1 decade ago
Green Tomato Mincemeat Fried Pies
* 2 pounds green tomatoes
* 3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 3 cups water
* 3 pounds tart apples - peeled, cored and chopped
* 1 1/2 pounds raisins
* 3 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
* 3 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1 teaspoon lemon zest
* 1 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/4 cup lemon juice
* 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/3 cup shortening
* 3 tablespoons ice water
* 3 cups shortening for frying
1. Chop the tomatoes very coarsely. Place tomatoes in a colander and drain, by pressing with your hand, all the tomato juice possible. Put the tomatoes in a large sauce pan with 1 cup of water, heat to boil, drain well.
2. Put the tomatoes back in the sauce pan with 1 cup of water, heat to boil, drain again.
3. Now, put the tomatoes back in the sauce pan with one cup of water, apples, raisins, brown sugar, 3 1/2 teaspoons salt, vinegar and 1/2 cup shortening. cook slowly until transparent.(30 min.)Stir often.
4. In the last 5 minutes of cooking, add cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, lemon rind and juice.
5. For the Pastry: In a large bowl, combine flour, 1 teaspoon salt and shortening. Add ice water,1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough barely holds together.
6. Roll dough out to 1/8 inch thick on floured surface. Cut a 5 inch circle, place a large spoonful of filling on one half of the circle. Fold over and seal the edges by pressing them with a fork. Continue until all dough is used.
7. In a large skillet, Heat shortening to 360 degrees F (182 degrees C). place 4 pies in the hot shortening at a time. Fry until golden-brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- CassandraMLv 61 decade ago
I don't personally know any, but go to www.allrecipes.com and type "fried green tomatoes" in the search field. You'll probably get a list of recipes, many of them rated (five stars or less) with detailed reviews.
Hope this helps!
- Haven17Lv 51 decade ago
Cut your tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices. Use a batter of 1 egg and a couple of ounces of milk. You can use flour or corn meal to set the batter. Fry lightly in olive oil, season to taste and enjoy!