Why do dems and reps spend so much time fighting each other?

Don't you realize that us independents are the ones who determine elections? Perhaps you should sell your ideas to us, instead of proving the 2 party system is failing...

Favorite Answer

You want an honest answer? They argue with each other so that the public actually pays a little attention to them.

Most elected officials are moderates. They don't have much to fight about in reality. The far right and the far left rarely get elected. Nothing ever really changes much.

So they create soap-opera style drama to make headlines and wake the public up.

I could not agree with your assessment of the situation more. It is really quite funny how argumentative and wrong so many of these people are. They all think they have a grasp on the situation but it is those of us in the middle who understand more than they. We are able to see different sides of arguments and understand why one thing works now but another will work in the future. This is why we do, as you say determine elections. We unfortunately have no viable candidates of our own, so we must choose between the lesser of two dimwitted candidates. Hopefully one of them hurts less than the others, but most of the time both/all are pretty worthless.

Its a shame too because the best people in this country don't go into politics or government. They go into business. Where real decisions and money are made. Government is all about paperwork and not about getting anything accomplished. The majority of people in Congress are there because they cannot succeed in business. Its like that old saying, "those who do, do. Those who can't, teach. Well, government to me is very similar. Very few branches of government have the best and the brightest working for them save for probably the military, but that is a discussion for a different day.

All in all, I say let the two parties have it out, because eventually here people will come to their senses and many of these worthless politicians on both sides will be voted out. Or they could of course die considering that most of them are aging white men who need a course in the world of reality anyway. Thanks and have a nice day.

Because, slowly but surely, this country has turned from a system of personal responsibility to one where the government is the answer for everything.

Making the government the #1 means of solving problems means there is a lot of power to being a part of the government.

This attracts people who want power....not people that want to do what is best.

People who want power also want to keep power...and this leads to the fighting between Reps and Dems.

• Good point! Take any situation and change the party of the person involved, and so many people switch positions. Double standards - sad.

It's dumber even still that I keep arguing here over that kind of stuff.

I clearly have my biases, but the only "side" I want to defend is my family's, and America's. I pick who is generally the better choice, and it has changed from time to time.

Argue principles, not parties. Logic, not bumper sticker slogans. Not a bad idea.

No offense to Americans, I do find your system strange. As opposed to questioning your government and trying to work as a nation towards the future, there seems to be a lot of bickering and pettiness along partisan lines, it spans all the way to the white house, in effect that is where all this mudslinging originated.

Does it not concern you that your nation is effectively divided? Does it not occur to you that the only function of division is to weaken the power of the people?

Democracy is all about you, the people. This is your government. Democracy doesn't work unless the people, as a united body demand the government listen to them, is accountable for their decisions and is able and willing to justify their actions. Divided you are crippled and unable to work as a nation, how is this in the best interest of the nation?

The fighting has A LOT to do with the party who runs their campaigns on the hot button issues that people get the most worked up and passionate rather than focusing on the big picture and talking about real issues that matter.

I'll let you decide which party you think that is.

Because it seems like nowadays the average American citizen values individual criticism and victory over mutual respect and compromise.

Independents don't seem to be any more ethical in their political behavior, merely scavenging the spoils from the loser of the heated battles between the 2 major parties and using it for their own political advantage.

Because most don't really care about anything other than themselves. I post stuff and most people think I'm republican, but I'm an independent conservative. I sometimes come down hard on democrats, but that is because they have been hijacked by liberals.

To keep the American public in the dark as to the real goings on in government. Keeps important news out of the headlines.

http://www.boycottchapter27.org

Source(s): My source is EXPERIENCE
  • edubya

You should be able to figure, there is no difference. Only rhetoric that bonds the blubbering followers to believe such while the politicians continue there agenda.