Corey H asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Bichon/Yorkie dog?

I went to a pet store and saw a Bichon/Yorkie dog and I was wondering if anyone new anything about them. It's a male and he's two months old. I was wondering like... will it chew furniture, will it bark like crazy, and that kind of stuff. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

First, NEVER buy a puppy from a pet store. Most breed groups, including the AKC, will tell you that this is the WORST place to get a puppy. Most breed groups FORBID their members from selling to these he11 holes.

http://www.geocities.com/bluegracepwd/wheretobuy.h...

http://www.stoppuppymills.org/

Secondly, the dog you saw was a mutt puppy. This dog should not be over $250 at a rescue group, fully vetted, fixed, and healthy. Unfortunately because of Mischa, Britney, and other pop glam girls, designer hybrid dogs (mutts) are now being bred recklessly by unethical and immoral individuals. Most breed groups also forbid their breeder from crossbreeding their dogs, so if they are violating that rule, what other rules are they violating? Genetic tests? First shots? Good food? Vet care?

As far as barking and chewing, there is no way to tell. Each dog is different. Yorkies are barkers and can be yappy. If this is a problem, then you should not get a dog with ANY yorkie in it.

Puppies chew. Some more than others. If this is a problem, then a puppy is not right for you. However, providing constant supervision, lots of attention, and lots of toys can help reduce the chances of unwanted chewing.

I strongly urge you to read some sites like

http://dogplay.com/GettingDog/index.html

and

http://64.37.122.206/Info/questionstoaskabreeder.a...

to help you find a puppy. Pet shops, newspaper ads, internet ads, and neighbors are often the WORST places to find a dog. They are usually poor quality, poorly bred, and poorly cared for. I'm not telling you to run out and spend $2000 on a show dog - responsible breeders have pet quality puppies, sometimes for as little as $400. These are dogs whose parents have had genetic testing, are fully vetted, and are social dogs. The pups will be healthy (and guaranteed), typically free from major genetic defects, well socialized (raised as family), and good quality dogs.

You can also try rescue groups like on http://www.petfinder.com and http://www.akc.org/breeds/rescue.cfm where you can find mixed breed dogs for as little as $50 and purebed dogs often under $200.

Good luck to you. : )

Edit: "Hey Stalkers_Luv_Me, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?! We got our dog from a store and he's the best little guy!! He's also AKC registered." lol. Diamonds - try clicking the links I gave before you make a fool of yourself praising pet stores. AKC has nothing to do with health. It means that both parents were purebreds. That's it. Again, most breed clubs DO NOT ALLOW their breeders to sell to pet shops. What's that telling you? Take a peek at the codes of ethics for the breed clubs before chastizing me and defending these places. http://dogplay.com/Breeding/coe.html . Take a peek at where most pet shops get their dogs (http://www.stoppuppymills.com). Ask ANY resonsible breeder or rescue person what they think of pet shops. Really. I'm glad that your AKC dog is healthy. But, that's the exception to the rule. Don't make judgements based solely on *your* experience.

Also, you are 100% off base with your assessment that small dogs don't bark. But, what should I expect from someone who thinks that AKC=healthy and well bred, and that pet shops are great.

Edit 2: This arrived via PM

From: SAYS ME

Subject: Bichon Yorkie

Message: This breed was developed with very specific goals in mind - if you don't know that maybe you should do a web search instead of spouting off

"Says me", anyone who has to harass people via PM can't be trusted. Yes, this mutt was developed with specific goals - to make money. Hybrids are no guarantee of health, as you imply. In fact, hybrids often get the worst of both breeds. Methinks someone else is doing the spouting. . .

I have newborns of the Bichon/Yorkie mix. However, if they are anything like the Yorkie side of the family...yes, they will tear stuff up, mark territory, bark at everything, and seek lots of attention. It's a process for patient people. My puppies are the offspring of my Yorkie and my moms Bichon. My Yorkie (scooter) is out of control...although, he's only ten months old.

I have owned a Bichon Frise and a Yorkie.....They are both great dogs, but like all the others have suggested, don't buy from a Pet Store, especially a mixed breed dog.....If you want a good dog, check with breeders or better yet, adopt one from a shelter or the pound...Save a life...You won't be sorry...

Good luck!

please dont buy from a pet store. Those dogs come from puppy mills! If you do I am 99% sure that your dog will have health problems. But if you find a Bichon/Yorkie from a reputable breeder..... then the dog will most likely be yappy and a lap dog. My good friend breeds yorkies and almost all of them pee when they get excited. I don't know much about Bichon's except that their coat is perfect for people with allergies b/c they are hypoallergenic

great little dogs - crossbreed between a purebred Bichon and a purebred Yorkshire Terrior - has the best of both breeds and none of the health problems ( NOTE must be a first generation crossbreed for the good health you need to see the registration of both parents )

HEY ! the Yorkie is the most spunky of all the Toy Breeds and the least ' yappie' if the owner ( teen girl I'll bet )allows it all dogs misbehave IF YOU WANT A TOY BREED this is the best you can get

why dont you type it into a search engine ( and get some adult opinions )

I have a 3 year old yorkie bichon mix (he was 5months old when I got him), he is wonderful. I found him through petfinder at a shelter near me. He came with breeding papers, so he was bred on purpose. He yaps at squirrels, hates them. He is a cuddler, a pleaser, an acrobat, beautiful fur, listens the best over my other two dogs. If I ever run into another one I will definitely adopt!!!!

• Emmy

I bet that's one cute dog.

It depends on the dog, of course, but, I know Yorkies tend to be very high strung and yappy, and tend to chew.

Any breed of puppy will be noisy and will chew on anything when they're teething. You may want to consider how to puppy proof your house before you bring home a dog.

Good luck!

it depends. just based on the kind of dog, its hard to tell. yorkies are generally quite a yippie dog, but it depends on the exact dog to tell how they're going to be as a puppy. generally pet stores have a policy that you can bring them back if they don't work out. check into that.

Hey Stalkers_Luv_Me, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?! We got our dog from a store and he's the best little guy!! He's also AKC registered.

Corey, usually small dogs like the one you are talking about don't chew or bark as often as big ones and don't require much walking or anything. Although, you need to give them a LOT of loving care or else, they'll be moody, depressed, and upset :'(

You're welcome to e-mail me and I'll give you some step to step directions on caring for this little doggie if you do get it! :D

• Shane

It's a mixed breed puppy and it's in a pet store. Those are two big strikes against it for temperament and personality. You can expect the best or the worst of both breeds.

Barking and chewing are two things that aren't breed-specific. Both depend on how much time you dedicate to training your new puppy.