promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

suddenly my 7 year old Husky just ignores everyone?

we will call her and she will look at us and just keep on walking. she has always been an independent dog, but when people called her she always came. i don't know what to do. i don't know if she is sick or just thinks she rules the house. i'm not sure if i should discipline her somehow or give her extra attention.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Get her checked out by a vet. Changes in behaviour can often be traced back to a veterinary problem.

If she checks out ok, bring her back to a training class for a refresher. Redo the training as some dogs 'forget' their training at various stages in life and then go from there. There's no need to punish her and this will probably scare her more and make her want to avoid you. Reward her appropriately when she responds to you correctly (positive reinforcement) and she should be coming when called agan in no time. : )

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Do not reward bad behaviour. If you give attention when the dog is being bad they will not see what they are doing as wrong.

I suggest you do the following: I bet it works :-

Every time you walk into the room for the first time ignore your dog for twenty minutes. Dont speak to your dog, make eye contact or touch your dog. If you keep this up your dog will come to you for attention. You need to show your dog that you are the alpha pack leader. Also - when feeding your dog make the dog come to you for the food. Make the dog sit and wait for the food. This is showing you control the food (very important to dogs) it shows them your the boss.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The best answer would be Vet check time! Any dog that all of the sudden has a change in attitude might be the sign of something being wrong. I would call the vet and see what they say and then take her in if the vet thinks thatis best

Good luck

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't know if this could be the problem or not but is there a chance that she could be losing her hearing, dogs can go deaf too. To make sure get right next to her head and clap loudly or yell, if she doesn't react to either of those, get her to the vet and get her checked out.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Shane
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

What have you been doing to reinforce her when she did come? If she came when called and wasn't rewarded for it regularly, most dogs would quit responding.

At 7, you also may want to check her hearing.

• 1 decade ago

I think its just more of an attitude thing. Shes older and not in the "puppy mode" anymore so if she doesn't feel like being touched she will not let anyone touch her. Don't discipline her for it but do praise her when she does come to you.

• 1 decade ago

dont punish her please. she may need to go to the vet . usually when a dog starts to act out of the normal way somthing could be wrong. has the dog been left with someone that may have been mean to her? also she may need to have her hearing/eyesight checked.

• 1 decade ago

Have her checked by your vet...She may be losing her hearing or her sight.....Until you know for sure, give her extra attention...

Good luck!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

maybe you should call the vet and find out. they'll definatly know what to do. dont just expect random ppl online with always know the right answer.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Have his hearing checked.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.