i just built a compost bin. But the spot is slightly shaded. would that affect the process?

The corner of the yard where i put it, is shaded for half the day. I did not realize until i was finished

Favorite Answer

It will slow down the composting process. Keep the material moist, turn it frequently, and consider using a composting accelerator (available in any garden center) to speed up the process, if you don't want to move the compost bin.

Source(s): many years of experience
  • Beau R

I have my composter in an area that is shady. It does slow down the process, but given a period of time, it works. Remember to occasionally add a shovel of dirt, on to the top of the pile. This introduces microorganisms, which help keep the compost mixture working. If you can find some worms in your garden, drop a few of them into the mix. They help by digesting the scraps, and turning it into good compost. Don't put any fats or grease into it, as it doesn't break down.

Yes and no. I love those definite answers! Full sun would allow El Sol to help with the heating up, but also the drying out. Slightly shaded may work out best for you by keeping the compost pile moister than if in full sun. Enjoy and thank you for recycling the yard and kitchen waste!

• Beth

The shade for part of the day won't hurt. But if the shade is coming from trees I hope you can move it. I made mine about 10 feet from a tree and the feeder roots from that tree invaded the composte and made it a mess. I wish you the best.

I dont think so. All Ive ever read or expereinced with compost piles is that they should be damp, covered and periodically turned with a pitch fork, with a little amonium sulfate added once in a while. The pile makes its own heat, breaking down inot those nice "aromatic" molecules that can then actually make there way into next years vegetables, ! if you garden.

Source(s): took a great course in college called country living

Shade is not bad, it will not dry out as fast. throw pillbugs and worms and earwigs in as you find them around the yard.

To avoid the tree root problem, put a tarp on the bottom of the bin and fold up around the edges.