Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 1 decade ago

Need Advice?

My boyfriend would like to propose to me, but he has asked my dad on christmas, but my boyfriend is feeling like my dad is giving him a yes and no answer. What can my boyfriend do and or say to talk to my dad, about letting him marry me?

Favorite Answer

Hmmm. Do or say? Be honest. Tell the truth. Your dad's just worried for you. I'm sure he'll come around to it if he sees it's what you really want. Good luck! Also, I think it's sweet that he wants your dad's blessing. Half the world doesn't do that nowadays.

Your dad is probably considering things like your boyfriend's education, career, money, age, and Length of relationship. Your father was a young man who wanted to marry his sweetheart at one time and so he has learned what is needed to make a marriage work. By being double minded he is expressing obvious doubt as to your boyfriend's and your ability to make it.

I suggest that you consider these things and decide to wait a bit if needed. After all, what's the hurry? Something as permanent as a marriage must be handled with extreme care. After all, it is not the ceremony and the party that will make it last; it is all the other stuff that I've already mentioned.

Take your time and do it well. You will be glad that you did. Your parents are your allies, so consult them often.

Wishing you the best,

Mr. M on "need advice."

• lizzy

I would say do not force your dad into anything. there may be a good reason why he has not given you 2 answer. Not everything is black and white. If anything it should be your boyfriend that should be concerned...and why do you know about him asking your dad? You should not have even known about it until a clear answer was given.

Well back in the day that was appropriate and still is respectful. However I think the person that he really needs to ask is you!

• sunbun

uhhh---what are u a child

If u are 18 or older u are an adult and can do whatever u wish....

wait until u are 18 then it doesn't matter what your dad says--it is your life afterall

You shouldn't get in the middle of it. It is between your boyfriend and your father.

• ?

Have him offer to give your dad a sheep.

leave this between ur boyfriend and father dont jump in between

dun jump into it! let ur boyfrnd be natural! u shud know dat when it all depends on ur bf how he gonna tackle da situation!

• he could tell him how much he willtake good care of how and how he wil try to do evrything to make u happy allthose stufff