Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Athiests: what verse(s) in the Bible( Torha &/or Qu'ron) make you know that it is not true?

Please note the verse(s) so i can look them up.

if you can tell me why that verse(s) is wrong

Favorite Answer

There's not one specific verse (for me at least). It's a combination -- you have to read the whole thing. And you also have to compare it to things we know from history and science. When you take everything into account, the story just doesn't add up.

But, if I have to list one of my favorites, Numbers 5:11-31 has got to be one of the best examples of the ridiculous stuff in the Bible. It talks about the Law of Jealousies. To paraphrase it:

If a man suspects his wife of being unfaithful, he reports it to the priest. The priest then makes her drink some "bitter water." (dirt from the floor of the tabernacle and water -- so basically mud). If she is guilty, the water makes her thighs rot and her belly swell. (nasty stomach infection?) If innocent, no harm done -- the woman is free and will "conceive seed." In either case, the man "shall be guiltless" from any sort of blame or responsibility.

At what point in history would it ever be advisable for a god to command men to make their wives drink mud to test for infidelity? It's so absurd as to be nonsensical. It is obvious that this section came from a generation of people who had no idea about viruses, diseases, and the like -- rather than any all-knowing god. Why didn't He command people to wash their hands or teach them how to make basic soap?

It's cause he's not there. He's the anthropomorphic figure of hope -- nothing more.

There is no one specific verse. If you read the texts as a whole, you come to the conclusion that it is either allegorical, or an expression of deep seated madness. Why would a man seek to limit himself to being a slave to a manic depressive God? The books are full of contradictory information on how to live our lives and furthermore tell us that we are somehow greater than the nature that we are dependent upon for survival. These concepts have lead all of our cultures to a place of war with our environments, a war in which victory is suicide.

1 Corinthians 1: 20 Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. For Jews request a sign, and Greeks seek after wisdom; but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks foolishness, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

I think it is more of what isn't in those books. Too many gaps and holes. Too much hate that uses those books as base. Too much ignorance that uses those books as base. Remember these are stories that were handed down through generations before being written down. Things in the bible that goes against the balance of nature. The world stops spinning for one. And don't give me the crap about Gods power. You stop the world from spinning and we all fly off.

I'm Deist. I don't believe the Bible or the Qur'an to be the word of God. These books are based on prophecy, which I reject. There is no reason for me to believe that God needs to speak to us, let alone need a mouthpiece. Since both books are based on "revelation", they cannot be his word. I believe in reason: God gave us a brain and he expects us to use it. If it is irrational, it is most likely untrue. Hence, I reject miracles, creationism, etc.

Gen: 1:1 In the beginning...

b

You don't have to nitpick specific versus - its all garbage.

If you read it with a clear and open mind you'll see that.

If you want to be a good person then that's wonderful - first thing to do is throw your holybook in the trash. They're all about genocide, racism, murder, blind faith and ignorance.

contradicting verses.

You won't find anything in the bible that says it isn't real. That doesn't make any sense.

Can you find anything in a book about atheism that proves god exists?