it's been a bad year...?

my brother passed away dec. 18, his wife had not been to a family christmas in 14 years (since my dad died ...btw, she wasn't there when he died like everyone else was...including her brother & father). she decided THIS YEAR to attend christmas at my mom's... was this proper? how am i suppose to react to this? it irrated me to no end that she decided to show up and be all lovely dovey toward us.

Favorite Answer

My wife died last year and my father the year before that (my mom when I was a teenager). That was the end of ANY family I had left. No in-laws, no uncles/aunts. And one cousin in FLA.

I'm sure your SIL is very frightened about losing her husband. For the time being, just be nice and someday you may want to ask about her past actions. Trust me, no one knows what she is going through.

Show love regardless! Yes things people do irritates us but maybe his death made her realize the value of family and maybe she knows how important your family was to him and wanted to come in respect to his memory. There is no telling why she did this but try to be understanding that every one must change and nothings stays the same ..matter this was her changing and doing better. You didn't mention whether your brother came on without her and no disrespect to the dead if he didn't maybe thats why she did not come maybe it was him that didn't want to come. You never know so let it be regardless and always be the better person.(As to being there when your Dad died maybe she is one that can't handle death or hospitals..some are like that I know kids who couldn't be there when their own parent(s) died for that reason.)

maybe you should think about the gap you felt when she didnt show up and from there decide if you want to somehow exact revenge or show mercy and accpet her in

maybe she's trying to make ammends