Was I completely wrong about her? We were best friends?

my best friend of 27 years asked me for $500 so that she could pay to go abroad for her Master's degree. If i didn't lend her the money, she probably would not have been able to go and finish her dissertation. She told me she would pay me as soon as her student loan was approved. that was two months ago, and i have had to ask her to pay me back. the first time she gave me a lil bit, then the second time she gave me a lil more. i text her asking for the rest before Christmas so i could have a lil extra to get gifts with and she never responded. i text again and she still hasn't responded.

she is like my sister, so i had no reservations on lending her the money, expecting that she was a true friend and would pay me back when she got her money. she owes me $200 and i'm ready to end our friendship because of it. was i completely wrong about her? I would have told her to keep it if she just offered to pay me back. Should i let it go?

Favorite Answer

I had my sister (same set of parents) stay with me after she moved back into the country from Europe (she went there for 7yrs) She borrowed and borrowed and borrowed for almost 10 months saying that when she got a job she would start paying me back well she got a job and never paid me. The bill was over $2000 and then she moved out after I got into a fight with her about starting the pay back. It's been a yr and I have still not seen the money we also haven't talked since she moved out. Should you let it go ???? well I couldn't and we are blood related. I feel cheated and taken advantage of. I hope she pays you back before it ruins your close relationship.

Lending money to friends or family is one of the worst mistakes a person can make. Too many people do it and it costs too many friendships.

If she really is "like a sister" then I would think the relationship would be worth more than $200 to you so you should just let it go and if she ever pays you back then consider it a bonus. Of course if you stay friends when she gets her loan you could even ask to "borrow" $200 from her and then when she loans it to you just don't pay her back.

Good luck.

i think she scammed u and the only reason she gav u bac any money the first time is so that u would not suspect that she did any thing wrong plus if she was truely ur friend u wouldnt of had to remind her that she owes u