Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 decade ago

FDA OKs food from cloned animals?

"FDA believes "that meat and milk from cattle, swine and goat clones is as safe to eat as the food we eat every day," said Stephen F. Sundlof, director of the FDA Center for Veterinary Medicine.

Officials said they don't think special labels are needed, although a decision on labeling is pending."

-Full article at: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061228/ap_on_sc/clone...

- Well, What do you think? Does it bother you that they don't plan on labeling the cloned products?

Favorite Answer

The FDA doesn't even do their own tests!

They rely on the company doing the cloning to accurately test their own products and interpret the data, supposedly without bias. Who believes that? The FDA has said that since Genetically Modified Organisms appear the same as their non-GMO counterparts, they are the same. That has been their argument all along.

The EU has mandatory labeling of any food containing more than 1/10 of a percent GMO. We've been eating them here unlabeled for years, even though polls have proven that people would rather know. Why can't we decide for ourselves?

God bless America.

• nerte

in simple terms a remark. The FDA is the nutrition inspection employer, no longer the nutrition advent employer. They exist simply by fact of questions like this approximately what variety of nutrition we are eating. In direct answer on your question, NO, i do unlike cloning. yet might i understand if i grow to be eating a cloned poultry? additionally, No, however the FDA has policies against it besides the undeniable fact that categorical countries might decide on you to think of they do no longer. See under:

Yes.Not mainly because they are cloned,but it is because the meat and dairy will become more monopolistic then it alreay is.Now the few small family farms that are left will be ultimately ruled out because they can't afford to make clones.The only upperhand that smaller family farms have is that some people prefer organic meat and dairy or they are concerned with animal welfare.And they say that they want to clone animals that produce healthy milk,why not feed the cow grass?grass is what the cow is supposed to eat and it is known that cows produce better milk then when they are fed corn or grain(the cows fed grass rather than grain is 100% less fattier than the typical grain fed cow).But they aren't even fed good food,cows are fed other cows and animals,recycled waste products which should be thrown away, and eyeballs,anus',spinal cords, and brains are fed to cows and they are also chopped directly up into hamburgers."Downed" animals are also sold to slaughterhouses when they shouldn't be.Diseased animals are fed to other animals.They are pumped full of steroids and hormones, and fed antibiotics.By consuming antibiotics earlier what will happen is later when you actually catch the bacteria it will be a strain that has become resistent to the current antibiotic because you consumed it by consuming th animal.That has already happened with salmonella.I'm more concerned with the current practices used in factory farming than the cloning,but cloning just takes it up to a whole new scale.I think they should also have to label it,I think people are against it religously and ethically.Will it even be considered kosher?the FDA said

"reports indicate that the food from cloned animals is as safe as the food we eat every day."

Now that scares me!Especially considering the current practices used in our food production of meat and dairy products.Some countries have made it illegal to import our beef into their country because of the amount of hormones and antibiotics we use,along with the current practices.We should follow in the EU's steps and limit or erase the amount of hormones used.It really is sickening.Have you ever woundered why girls are maturing younger and younger.I have read reports from Puerto Rico that have cases of a four year old with fully developed breasts,five year old with fully developed breasts and pubic hair,even a nine year old boy with breasts.They all got it from the same source and lived in the same area.It really scares me to see where food production is heading,but really it doesn't effect directly because I'm vegan.

It really bothers me. If I'm eating a fake steak, I have a right to know about it. Besides, there are plenty of things that the government has said are perfectly safe that ended up killing people.

i think we are reallly messing with nature trying to eat cloned animals.... and there is no need to eat cloned animals.....

i am personally a vegetarian and i don't eat meat..but i think that it is playing with fire for those who do eat cloned meat.....

I don't know what to think about this really. Since I'm vegan I personally do not have to think about.

YAH!!!!

I hate veggies