promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsOther - Electronics · 1 decade ago

DVD versus Blueray - What's the Difference?

For weeks now I've been watching commercials on TV for new movies coming out on DVD and each time the announcer guy says "available on DVD or blueray disc." What is the big difference between them? Is it worth investing in a player and converting everything over to this new format? I only have about 50 DVD titles so far - but that's taken me 2 years to get to this point and I'd hate to have to start all over again!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The primary technical difference between Blu-Ray and DVD is the capacity of the disc. Blu-Ray discs hold several times more data, which is necessary to provide movies in high-definition resolutions.

The DVD format provides an excellent picture, but in a standard (non-HD) resolution. Blu-Ray movies can come in a variety of resolutions, but are capable of output at the highest HD resolution currently available. So, for most folks, "is it worth it?" depends on ownership of an HDTV set. If you have one, it might be worth making the jump. If not, spend your hard earned cash on an HDTV first!

Another factor to be aware of is competition. Currently, two "next-gen DVD" standards are vying for market-share: Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. It may be worth waiting it out to see which one catches on with the public. Nothing could be worse than making a major investment in a player for which you can't find good movies!

Personally, my amateur bet's on Blu-Ray. I suspect it's in far more homes already, thanks to Sony using the technology in the PlayStation 3. (Interestingly, if you decide to go with a Blu-Ray player, the PlayStation 3 is actually one of the cheapest!)

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Blueray is a new type of DVD. Blueray players should be able to play the old DVD formats without any problems. Old DVD players will not be able to read the new Blueray discs.

On the technical side, the blu-ray disc holds 50Gb compared to a "normal" DVD's 4Gb.

• 1 decade ago

Blueray is just like when the dvd firrst came out. Everyone stopped buying VCR tapes and went to the DVD. Blue ray basically is a huge advancement. But in my opinion its not worth swithing over 50 DVD's (NICE JOB). Blueray id HD and better clarity.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Basically

More capacity which=better graphic

A new format

Needs a blue ray player

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

the version between favourite DVD and upscaled DVD is obvious however the version between blu-ray and upscaled DVD is clearer nevertheless. you in basic terms get the surely pixels smothed on upscaling making curves extra curved it does not upload component nor does it upload the enhanced audio that blu-rays have. merely evaluate the comparable action picture part with the aid of factors on comparable contraptions on blu-ray and upscaled DVD (as completed on device tutor and difference is obvious) additionally the sound on blu-ray has plenty extra component than DVD. Blu-Ray disks could be bought style amazon for under many DVD's its in basic terms extreme street shops and supermarkets that insist on merchandising them at two times the fee of DVD. I have been given hancock on blu-ray for £7.sixty seven with the aid of amazon and tesco's have been attempting to ask £27 and £14 for the DVD (amazon DVD became £9.ninety 9.. Blu ray is barely however to be extra costly as human beings dont comprehend the place to look - its like the clicking make the 'credit correction' worse than it relatively is or perhaps however expenditures have bottomed out in some ares nevertheless say its relatively undesirable so we've self assurance them and placed off figuring out to purchase issues so it makes it undesirable...

• 1 decade ago

blueray has better "graphics" than dvd and can only be played with blueray players

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.