smoking and pregnancy?

Anyone else having a hard time quitting smoking? no this isnt for people that dont smoke and DONT understand lol. Theres alot of you i already know that, but its not that easy!!! Is there any type of medication you can take to stop smoking? or the patch? What can be done? i have cut back to about 6-8 a day, Its so hard to quit, anyone else going through this?

Favorite Answer

I went through the EXACT same thing, I found out I was pregnant with my daughter and I panicked and of course I wanted to smoke. Its a high stress time. I knew it was bad but for some reason I couldnt stop. I smoked one or two a day, and then felt horribly guilty!! One night I had a dream where I was trapped in this room and there were ashtrays with burning cigarettes everywhere, the room was cloudy and I was choking and couldnt breathe. I took it as a sign from my baby and quit immediatly. (cold turkey) It was incredibly hard but I have a beautiful healthy 1 year old and it was worth it. Good luck! (within a week of quitting I felt better and my morning sickness went away completely)

Yes...I completely understand. In fact I believe it is actually more difficult to stop while you are pregnant. Some women get lucky and have an ill reaction to smoking and have no trouble quitting. It is a crazy thing...it is like when people nag you for smoking...it makes you WANT to light up another one! Same goes with pregnancy. You feel guilty and you want so bad to just stop...but it makes the cravings worse. You have done the right thing by cutting back as much as you can. In fact, most doctors will tell you that while smoking is bad in any condition, while you are pregnant it is better to cut back as much as possible than it is to quit cold turkey. Not only does it create a lot of stress for you and your baby, but your baby is also used to having nicotine and will experience withdrawals just like you do.

You cannot use the gum or the patch or anything like that because it is designed to go directly into your blood stream in a fairly fast amount of time..therefore going into the placenta very quickly as well...and while smoking obviously is not good either...it is a longer process and some of the nicotine etc. is broken down by your body before it goes to the baby. What smoking does is makes your placenta not work at 100%. It actually leaves deposits on the placenta that affects it's function. So those commercials that you see where the pregnant women takes a drag and they show the womb filling up with smoke...it doesn't really happen that way. In fact, the fresh air exchange within the placenta takes only 30 seconds. So, in essence, your baby is recieveing fresh oxygen before you even take a second drag.

I certainly do not promote smoking while pregnant...but i do understand the addiction and hope that I have at least offered some comforting advice while you are trying to battle this awful addiction.

Try and think of it as every cigarette that you DONT smoke is HELPING YOUR BABY.

Don't freak out about it or you will want to smoke more.

Complications can occur for many different reasons and while smoking can contribute to them...there are tons of babies born to mothers who have done much worse, and some who have done nothing at all. (Example would be Athsma. My mom didn't smoke with my sister and she has severe athsma. She did smoke with me, and I have always been healthy.

Also, you are going to get a lot of negative answers for posting a question like this...but you are right...if you are not and have never been a smoker...you will never understand.

Good luck and Congratulations.

Source(s): Mommy to four and 38 weeks with #5!

Of course you hear the horror stories about smoking and being pregnant...blah blah blah. However, everyone knows multiple people that smoked during pregnancy and the baby was fine. Although I'm not recommending it....it just isn't a death sentence like a lot of non-smokers want you to believe.

I was smoking over a pack a day and it took me about 3 weeks to quit completely after I found out I was pregnant.

It. Was. So. HARD.

But I started delaying when I would smoke...if I had a craving I would force myself to wait 30 minutes before I smoked...as the days passed I would wait longer and longer and would in turn cut down the number of cigarettes I would smoke during the day. It made it easier than allowing myself a certain number of cigarettes and then feeling deprived when my number was up. It was also easier than craving a cigarette and saying "I won't have one" because then I would just obsess about it until I had one anyway (normally after about 5 minutes). This way I knew I would get a cigarette, I just had to wait a little bit for it. Fortunately I also started feeling sick by the smell because of morning sickness. Sometimes I breakdown every couple weeks and have 1 (I'm only human!). Give yourself a pat on the back for cutting down. It's unbelievably hard. I don't go a day without wanting a cigarette, but it does get slightly easier over time.

I did with my 2nd and 3rd pregnancy and to be honest I got to my 5-6month and I still had a few a day with my 2nd pregnancy, the real thing that made me stop for the rest of the duration is the thought that if anything went wrong with that baby due to the smoking it would be my fault and that the child would just be an innocent victim and I would go through my life knowing the bad I had done him just because I couldnt resist smoking, when i really understood that I stoped and resumed after he was about 2months old. With my 3rd pregnancy I did the same mind trick as soon as I thought I was pregnant and it worked. Good luck its hard but its worth it. Maybe reasearching the things that could happen to a baby due to a smoking mother during pregnancy would help you.

I had a terrible time quitting. When I got pregnant with my first, I went from a pack a day down to about 2 or 3 cigarettes per day. With my second one, I went from a pack per day to maybe 1/2 pack. I'm not condoning it by any means, and I'm (thank GOD) very fortunate to have two happy, healthy, beautiful, good sized kids on my hands (both were over 8 lb. at birth and healthy as horses) but bad things can happen to smokers. I don't know of any statistics, but the way I look at it is--in our parents generation they ALL smoked and we turned out alright... It really is best for you to stop. As for medications, patch, etc., that's something you really need to ask your pharmacist. They know drugs like the backs of their hands and they can tell you what's safe during pregnancy. If there is a safe one out there that you can use/take, go to your ob/gyn and tell him you want a script for it.

Good luck and I feel for you--I've been there twice myself!

I have a friend going through the same thing. How far a long are you? I think its hard to quit when you don't feel or look pregnant. As long as you keep cutting back and keep trying, you'll get there. Once you start showing and feeling the baby, it may become a lot easier to totally quit. My friend asked the doctor and they said you can't take the gum or patch. Just keep at it and think how awful you would feel if something happened to your baby. Good Luck!!

I was a two-pack a day smoker, and I quit, cold-turkey. I didn't cut back. I just bought some of that nicotine gum, and chewed half a piece every time I felt like I was going to lose it. It helped.

I've been off of them, now for three weeks, and I don't feel as though I'm going to go crazy, anymore. You're going to dream about it, but it's not that bad.

The withdrawals are what break a lot of people. They suck. You'll sweat, have insomnia, constipation, some nausea and stomach upset, and you'll eat more. You're lungs will also feel stiff, and you may cough.

After the first few weeks, though, you'll start to feel so much better, and you will realize how crappy you've been feeling the whole time that you have been smoking.

Think of your baby's health, pick a date, and STICK to the date that you plan to quit. On top of creating a healthy life for you and your baby, you will be SOOO proud of yourself once you do it.

I'm glad to see that the majority of the questions are really supportive! I'm a smoker, even though I haven't smoked one since I found out I was pregnant (Well, I did for about one more week after, because I was in denial of the pregnancy-lol:). BUT, I was one of the forunate few smokers that get ill from the smell, taste of one while pregnant! I still crave one, but I don't dare even smell a lit cigeratte for fear of running to the rest room! Needless to say, this made if VERY easy to quit:) I can't offer advise on how to quit, but I wanted to let you know that women that smoke get pregnant everyday and I was one who had to go through quitting. The main time I miss it is my hour commute home just riding in the car....all alone, so boring! I used to smoke to fill in that time! I'm afraid that once I have my baby and that nausous feeling no longer over comes me from the smell that I will start back! BUT, I'm just happy that I was able to not smoke while pregnant:) Good Luck to you!

One more thing, I knew of a girl that was taking extacy, drinking, doing coke, smoking pot, and at the very least of all this smoking, and her baby is now a healthy, smart, 5 yr. old. Needless to say, this dumb woman now doesn't have custody and this in no way implies that smoking is good for your baby, but dumbass women do worse things while pregnant.

• PRS

I quit smoking 20 years ago. It was very hard. Believe it or not success starts in your head. You must WANT to quit first. You know you need to quit, that's easy but you must convince yourself not only that you WANT to quit but that you WILL be successful.

Now...Quit. That's it. I worked in a nonsmoking environment. That helped. I left my cigarettes at home. Didn't go out and had lunch brought in. Smoked a few at home then repeated for every day that week. At the end of the second week I was out of cigarettes and never bought any more and never smoked again. Dreamed about them for years though.

I had the same thing. I am now 15 weeks pregnant and my last cigarette was about a month or 2 ago. I cut back and I asked on here and watched tv and looked on the internet to see what smoking was doing to my baby to motivate me with guilt. Dr. Phil said that you might as well put your unborn baby on a cynaid drip... that helped me alot. Then I sarted getting sick from cigarettes, and that really helped ALOT. I was down to 1/2 cigarettes at a time... Finally I started throwing up when I had one, they just made me sick.. and I was done. AND I WILL NOT START AGAIN... lol

Source(s): good luck girl. You can do it, because I can tell you care