Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

My cat has been vomiting for about a week. Its gotten much better but she won't drink water.?

She might have might have nibbled on a Poinsetta plant., which I've removed. I took her to a vet, who wanted $300.+ for tests. She is alert, somewhat playful, wants food, just won't drink water. I can't afford the tests, but will do them if I have to. How will I know when its time and is there a kind way to force water?

Favorite Answer

How long has it gone without drinking? If a cat goes more than 2 days without drinking it can be serious, and if it has been vomiting it is even worse. If the cat goes more than a day and a half without drinking call the vet, he may need IV fluids.

I would not recommend putting any milk in the cats water because cows milk is not good for them and since he has been vomiting this may upset his stomach again and make the problem worse.

Try and encourage your pet to drink. Put water in front of her or put a little bit on your finger and get her to lick this, just little bits at a time. If it doesn't get any better in a few days, you may have to go to the vets and get the tests done, you could always ask family members for small loans so you can afford the tests. But as for the water always make sure there is fresh water in every room just in case your cat wants to drink. Add small amounts to wet food, and if your cat is sleeping somewhere bring the bowl to them. All the best

Well I did some research and poinsettia's are in fact poisonous to cats. If you really can't take it to the vet right now...I'd buy a syringe (without the needle) and stick it in its mouth as far as possible and force feed it water that way. Have you tried giving it milk? visit the site below for more information...there is also a help line on the left hand corner that you'd have to pay $50 but that's better then $300 and maybe they can tell you how to help your cat.

• Toots

Cats can get water from moist cat food...to get her to eat moist food, put it in the microwave for a few seconds (do not get it too hot!!!), as this will release the scent of the food. She will most likely eat more this way. Vommiting is sometimes a good thing...it gets the impurities out if she has eaten anything she shouldn't. Do not let this go too long however. Dehydration can set in quickly. NC (where I live) has a wonderful vetenary school as does Florida, so I would go on-line to those sites and research using her symptoms. As a cat "mom" of three, I know how distressing this can be for you. Good Luck and I hope she feels better soon!

You may want to take her back to the vet and see if they will give her antibiotics. My cat had the same problem and they did tests which showed decreased liver and kidney function because he hadn't been drinking water while he was sick. They gave him antibiotics and he immediately started feeling better and drinking again. The vet said not drinking water can cause serious damage-maybe they can prescribe the antibiotics without doing the tests if you tell them that she's still not drinking and that you cant afford the tests.

I'd check around the house first. It might be that your kitty has found an alternate water source like a dripping faucet, a fish tank, or the drainage dish under a potted plant. And don't forget, dogs aren't the only ones who like to drink out of the toilet. ; )

If you've determined that she isn't getting any water from anywhere, you really need to get her seen by a vet.

If you can't afford a regular vet, check with the humane society. Some of them run low cost clinics or can refer you to someone who can help you out for less.

You need to make your cat drink ASAP. Get a pipette full of water and carefully squeeze it in your cats mouth. Your pet will obviously be dehydrated so im sure she wont spit it back out.

Whatever happens after that, take her to the vet as it could be serious. Maybe food poisoning?

• aly

go to the vet and get the tests. it seems like your kitty is really sick, try looking in your phone book to see if there are any free or low cost vet clinics in your area, some vets might also offer a payment plan. Good luck! I hope your kitty gets better.

you should have done the tests, but try some gatoraid, or try a LITTLE bit of milk in the water, just enough to flavor it, if the cats still wont drink tell the vet, it may need IV fluids, dont wait!

Well go to petsmart or petco and tell them ur story and they'll give you a medicine or recommend u with something.Good Luck!