promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Link asked in Entertainment & MusicMusic · 1 decade ago

beginner guitarist troubles?

hey everyone. my name's link. i recently bought an ibanez acoustic guitar and i absolutely love it. i'm a beginner at guitar but i've played piano for 10 almost 11 years. but today, while tuning my guitar to a different key, the smallest string snapped. my parents don't trust me with the expensive instrument and insist that i take it to the local guitar shop. does anyone know if i can get them (the employees at the guitar shop) to replace JUST the string that snapped AND tune it for under $20? also... can i still play the guitar without the snapped string (it's my least favorite anyway)? my only concern is that me playing it while in this condition will damage the neck. please help!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

A whole set of strings runs about $5. You should be able to do that yourself. The neck won't be damaged by playing with a broken string, but you won't learn to play it properly without it. You should just buy a new set of strings and put them on to prove to your parents that you can do it. Just remember to pay attention to how each string is wound around the peg. Replace the strings one at a time, starting with the broken one. I believe that your guitar will have plastic pegs to hold the bottom side of the string in place. You'll have to release the tension on each string before removing the peg. Then put the end of the string that has the metal stop loop down the hole, then pull the string tight while putting the plastic peg back in place. Then take the bare end of the string, making sure that is goes through the correct grooves and wind it around the tuning peg about 3 times before feeding it through the tuning peg's hole. Make sure that the string feeds through the hole above the wound string. Tighten each string up to approximate tune before removing the next one. You should learn how to tune your own guitar or buy an electronic tuner.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Take the guitar to the music store and get them to repair the string(s) and tune it, but ask them to let you watch so that you can also learn. Bring pencil and paper when you go...not just to jot down your wish list from the music store, but also to take notes on how to change the strings, etc. As a musician, it is important to build a strong rapport with at least a couple of instrument repair people and/or to know someone at the music store. They will "look out" for you when sales go on, when you have questions, and when you just need some musical advice.Good luck with your guitar and keep rocking!

Source(s): band director
  • Devo
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Yes, they should replace just the one string and tune it for you for less than $20 - if they insist that either it'll cost more or they must do all strings they're trying to hose you. You can still play it without the string, but you run the risk of messing up the action - I'm sure your parents would appreciate you getting the string replaced as soon as possible, just to eliminate that risk.

Source(s): Guitar player for 10 years
  • 1 decade ago

my first guitar was an Ibanez...a 12 string!

Yes, you CAN buy individual strings. Any music shop or guitar shop has them, and a qualified salesperson should be able to put it on and tune your guitar in just a few minutes, for the price of the string.

But try to learn to tune your guitar yourself, it's pretty easy if you have a good sense of tone.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

a new SET of strings should cost less than $20 at your local music store.

Replace the strings and learn to tune it yourself. If you play piano, you should be able to tune your guitar by ear..

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That's a normal thing to have happen. The E string is very thin. You cannot buy just one string though. You must buy the whole pack. It's time you learned to restring and tune your own axe man.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You may be able to buy a single string.Dont buy ultra light string gage.Maybe not even light gage.They sell guitar tuners to help you tune.The top string & then you may be able to go from there.Have someone show you how to tune.

• 1 decade ago

have your parents take you to the music store to LEARN how to change the string, im sure theyll be glad to help. Its really not hard. playing it with a broken wont damage the neck just stifle your playing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.