promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 1 decade ago

i have a laptop and im tryin to set up a wirless internet but i can't get a signal from my router?

i can connect to the internet on this laptop if i plug straight from the cable modem to this computer, but when i try to connect to my router, which is a linksys, it acts as if i dont have internet, says that the media is disconnected. Help please

Update:

if i try to connect the cable from the modem to the router it says its gettin a signal, but then i can't connect to the internet on this laptop

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

When you are connected to the router via a ethernet cable, log into the router via the HTTP interface. The manual should have the default IP address of the router (usually like 192.168.0.1 or maybe .254) Once you get that and log in, check to ensure that Wireless is turned on/enabled in the router. Then turn off any security settings that are on - basically make it a "wide-open/unsecure" network. Establish a connection that way and then, once you successfully get a connection, then you can go back and set up the security to protect your system and network. Like: Turn on WPA with Pre-shared Key (PSK) - you create a passphrase/password and enter it on both the router and the laptop. Then you can also set up MAC filtering to only allow your laptop, based on it's MAC address, to connect and get an IP address. If you need to, email me for more specific help.

Additionally, you will have to set your ISP settings in the router - there is usually a pretty good Setup Wizard to assist with this. You will have to tell it what your user name and password is in order for the Router to get the modem to connect to the Internet. Hope this helps...

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • nerte
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

all the solutions seem examining your question in yet differently than I do. i think you're saying the desktops are related to the router with wires (ethernet cables) and you're actually unable to get a wifi sign. i might think of the router isn't wifi. If it would not have an antenna sticking up from the lower back, or in specific says that's a prompt router then it truly is not a prompt router, yet fairly a router in simple terms. with a view to apply your prompt (wifi) adapter to get right of entry to the internet, you will decide on a prompt router. you ought to use it besides to the router you have already got (a trick to place in), or in simple terms replace the router you presently have. solid success

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Read the manual. We can't help you if we don't know anything about the exact model of router or wireless NIC you are using in your laptop. Most likely, your wireless NIC in your laptop is disabled, or you don't have the right device driver for it. A properly working wirless NIC should immediately pick up on a signal source if your wireless router is actively broadcasting your SSID.

• 1 decade ago

Is the router connected to the internet?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Might be that you need to manually change some router settings, such as the IP address it is currently using by default. For example, it may be using the IP address 192.167.1.1 and you may need to change it to 192.167.10.1. It may be best to consult the Linksys website or contact their tech support for assistance.

Michael

http://www.fragrancebrand.com

http://www.supremecenterhosting.com

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Hi

ok , first , verify that the wireless network card is ENABLE , then when you do the scan , verify that you the correct wep key , otherwise it will not let you connect to it . Verify also that the drivers for the wireless card are the latest one , otherwise download the new drivers

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.