How long does it take for a nerve to recover from foot drop.?

I had surgery on my L3-L4 a month ago due to foot drop. And i was wondering if there is any chance that my foot movement will come back. I still have numbness in my foot, and i have been on meds for a month(celebrex).

Favorite Answer

Most will guess that it can take anywhere from 6 months to 18 months for a nerve to come back if the damage is not permanent. Some will recommend vitamin (esp. B) supplements. I am not aware of any scientific evidence that anything will make a damaged nerve recover faster. Good Luck!

It depends. You may never... sorry to say. It takes quite a long time for a nerve to heal. I cut the nerve and tendon in my thumb when I was 11. I'm now 33 and just started getting feeling in it. I could always use it and it tingled but no feeling till now. But the best chance you have to fix foot drop is *Intense physical therapy*. Your insurance should cover this. I deal with a lot of elderly patients at work with foot drop due to lack of use. We usually but a boot on them that have a hard sole that points the toes up at all times. Not a regular shoe. Good luck!

My friend injured her foot but had no surgery. The physician told her to wait a few months and protect the foot. The foot drop finally went away after two months. You need to go back to your physician and tell them you are having numbness. You may need something else to take besides the celebrex. A lot of physicians use a drug called Neurontin for nerve damage. Best wishes to you.

Source(s): medical education

I was told that a dropped foot was permament, nothing good be done. I am 56 and they denied me therapy. I have tried everything onmy own but will see if an increase in my vitamin B as your body does not retain it so an overdose id virtually impossible. Same with vit. c although when and if you get diarrhea stop.

If you have nerve damage,there are no recover...I have nerve damage in my right hand and it's something i have to live with...You know,a little water therapy would probably help you out some...Ask your doctor about it... Clowmy

never knew i had dropfoot until started falling down in and outside my house had pressure in back surgery and now back ok stuck with dropfoot help frank.little315@comcast.net

the best advice anyone on here can give you is to take a multivitamin daily and see your doctor(surgeon, orthopedist) ASAP!!! good luck and feel better!!!