DQ asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

what can I do if I think I may scammed by someone?

How can I get my money back?

It was through base.google.com

and person was from Hong Kong and asked me to pay via western union and I paid w.u through my debit card anyway I can get money back if it is a scam?

They did email me back on the 26th

"Hello David,

Your package has yet been shiped out 'cause we are now

on holiday but we are going to resume back to office on Wednesday so pls

bear with us, i will email you your tracking number immediately we ship

out your item.

Merry Christmas

Thanks for bear with us."

They also asked me for mailing address?

• ken y
    Favorite Answer

that's what you get for sending money out of the country

Probably not much, if anything. If a real scam (i.e. you provided your mailing address, it is now Friday in Hong Kong and you have yet to hear from them), your bank may be understanding and reimburse you but that is pushing your luck. You may have to wait for the New Year holidays to pass too. Not a good feeling !!

Some of the deals on Google Base seem too good to be true (even 50% off and the person is listing several items), I don't think there is any recourse though. I read Google Base fine lines but couldn't see anything that can make you feel safe. GB basically lists the ads for free and don't guarantee anything.

The way I read it, if the person/company is legit, they can use GB, but still should accept more conventional payment methods i.e. paypal, credit cards? GB is a disservice - if it is not safe!

I recently had to resist the same urge to pay via W.U. as you did (the camera was 50% cheaper than elsewhere, the seller was in London and used a Yahoo email address). I couldn't trace his company name anywhere, including Ebay, for the same products (where I expect he should be as a good business person, with 500 in quantity).

Good luck. Hope your purchase will come as expected.

Contact the bank that your debit card is issued through. Ignore the answers here that say you did a dumb thing. Everyone makes mistakes. Thankfully, the banks are very supportive and understanding of these scams, which are occurring more and more everyday. There always has been, and always will be, scam artists and vulnerable people they victimize.

(In 2000, it took an average of 100 hours to "fix" an identity theft issue; now it takes 500 - 700!) Good luck.

If you put it on your debit card or credit card you can dispute the charges with you card holder (visa, MasterCard ex..) this will then put the funds in to an escrow account where neither you nor the Hong Kong guy can touch it until the dispute is settled

Just wait and see if they email you back confirming that the item has been sent. If you don't get a message today or tomorrow, email them and ask what's up. Also, paying with Western Union or anything other than PayPal I hear is a bad idea. Don't yell scam just yet. Wait a bit and see.

did you buy a product? or were you involved in one of those lottery schemes? you should have used a credit card then you could have had it reversed there are so many people out there scamming I think this will just have to be a lesson learned I got scammed by Sara feder. lesson learned there!

• lewis

i'm no longer very useful how debit enjoying cards artwork, I in basic terms use credit enjoying cards, whilst ever some thing happens I merely say i'm no longer gunna pay it, the mastercard human beings locate the human beings and get their money back. merely call them up and spot what they are able to do, i'm useful there'll b some thing they are able to do

Congratulations, you are an idiot.

nothing