Ladies: can a non-romantic marriage work?

It has everything, good sex...but no love. By "non-romantic" I don't mean that the couple hate each other. There's everything....but they are not like lovers. Because of the fear of falling in love again.

Disclaimer: This is not my personal question.

Favorite Answer

May be they are in love, but are too scared too embrace it. If both have had their hearts broken before, they might just be afraid, of loving again. For women to have great sex, they have to at least be a little in love, for men, well they start falling in love with the one they are having the great sex with. I think they will realize that they are in love, would they miss each other, if one disappeared?

It depends on what the goals of the two people are. Anything can work if you make it work. The thing to ask is...how much does your happiness depend upon romance and intimacy? If the person is ok with stability, friendship, and great sex, then it can work. That being said, my fiancee and I just ended our relationship of 1.5 years because, although we are best friends, the sex is great, and we care about each other a lot, we do not have enough common interests and we realized we would not be happy in a marriage together.

I suppose for practical purposes it could, but who would want to have a committed marriage if there's no genuine romance? Why get married? To provide a home for kids? Fear of falling in love is there because of past conditionings and old paradigms. With time and effort and courage, one can get over these fears and old conditionings and allow themselves to trust and fall in love again. No 2 individuals are the same. Trust is the key. Trust in your heart and in your partner.

No it can't work. My marriage was like that. I fell out of love with my husband but stayed in for the sake of the children. As time went on I just grew to resent him. Asking myself why am here if I don't love him. We had everything else but just not the love. He began to resent me also and it all just fell apart badly. Nothing is more priceless than getting those silly butterflies in you stomach when you see your spouse. Or your heart skipping a beat when he comes through the door after work. You have to have the romance because without it your just roommates with benefits.

Source(s): Personal experience

I think that a marriage without love is a marriage that shouldn't be. Some do make it work but it doesn't compare to a marriage where two people love each other. I think that love is something that everyone should go threw and find. Even love that hurts feels great for while and makes you smile when you think back. That and not all love ends.

• AnnieD

A non-romantic marriage can work very well, but not if it is based on a fear of falling in love!

• lewis

There are women people who do fee effective adult adult males. you have already had 2 girlfriends, so which you do comprehend the thank you to get and look after a relationship. i think of that considering the fact which you're shy, that has harm you in with the flexibility to get obtainable and mingle with others. i does no longer assume already which you would be on my own for something of your existence at 21. It takes time to fulfill somebody who is going to be well suited with you. have you ever seen changing your targets of residing for somebody? might desire to you reside for you? Set out some targets or interests for your self that can shop you busy interior the period in-between and could eliminate that feeling of uselessness. once you quit spending all a while finding for some thing, each and every so often that some thing will locate you. in case you want to up your self assurance, evaluate dressing up a sprint extra once you bypass out. outfits do make the guy and you're extra great. you could experience extra useful once you comprehend you seem good.

May I ask why they got married? Marriage is about love, loyalty and commitment. I suppose they can make it work if they agree this is what they want, but what happens when one of them decides they want to be in love, perhaps they actually fall in love, and what if it is with someone else?

No, I say No this can not last.

• stacy

There are lots of successful marriages based on other things than love- finances, social standing, sex, convenience, etc.

It's not want i want but once both parties are okay with it i guess it may even be more successful than a regular marriage because it is less emotional.

in the same situation but we are not married yet hopfully we will get over the fear of falling so deeply in love again. no romance means a very lonely place.