Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceQuotations · 1 decade ago

Where did the phrase "Women are a dime a dozen" Originate?

I have heard this on many occasions and have always wondered where it originated from?

• Dane
    Favorite Answer

a mexican bordello. That was .10 USD

Most of us know the meaning of the phrase 'Dime a dozen' as something cheap and available aplenty. What exactly is the origin behind the expression?

I hope this isn't too obvious, but something being 'a dime a dozen' simply means that it is cheap and plentiful - a dime is a small coin and to get a dozen for that makes something inexpensive. bread rolls or small cakes would be candidates for the origin as they are traditoinally sold 'by the dozen'.

So it was probably back when everything was a penny so getting 12 items for 10 cents was a bargain.

I don't think i have ever heard the term "Women" are a dime a dozen, but the saying XX are a dime a dozen probably originated fairly recenlty (probably in the 1910s) when the dollar started becoming worth less than it was. A dime wouldn't buy you as much as it did, so perhaps people were able to buy cheap things for a dime a dozen, such as eggs. So then things that were cheap to buy became a "dime a dozen" maybe

I have a feeling it just originated from the phrase "...are a dime a dozen" meaning that whatever the person's talking about is not hard to come across or is worth very little.

I think somebody who was frusterated with their relationship status added in the word "women."

The phrase "A dime a dozen" just means that whatever you are talking about is cheap and plentiful.

You can put whatever you want in front of it, but don't say ^that^ to too many women

A dime a dozen originated with baked goods.

• JAMI E

I think it was back in the day of Clark Gable maybe. There is the same saying about men bieng a dime a dozen.

• kyeann

I thought it was men are a dime a dozen, but a good one is one in a million

Isn't it "blondes are a dime a dozen?

in bangkok it used to cost that much for an orgy.