Why did more people care about the crikey guy dying that a president of the USA?

than-------

• x
    Favorite Answer

Priorities, Joni.

Stars are far more important that some boring old guy doing boring old stuff that might actually influence our lives and affect our history.

Didn't you know that?

He may be the "crikey" guy to you but he was a hero for men, women, and children across the globe. A president is elected; this does not automatically make him a good guy or a hero. Do you know anything about Ford, or is your grief only limited to who you believe is most important and not what they have done to promote peace in the world? Wonderful people die every day that we never hear about. Do they not deserve the same respect just because you have never heard of them? I think you need to take up a different stance on why you grieve for one person and not another. Nobody just chooses like that.

Just what exactly is so sad about someone being loved and respected more than a President? Walking around shaking your head in wonder and shock about the president dying when you know absolutely nothing about him is ridiculous. Feeling more sadness about Steve Irwin (who was very young and had children who were just getting to know him) is not immoral or lacking. Could you not tell from his daughter's speech that the man was a great father and humanitarian? I don't know either Irwin or Ford personally, but having been 2 when Ford was in office made me personally grieve Irwin more. Since when are our morals based upon who we grieve for? Anyone who responded that it was "sad" some people mourned Irwin more, can you tell me just why that is so? Sounds silly to me.

Perhaps it was because the former President was aged 93 when he passed, and the "crikey guy" as u stated was only 44. It is always so devastating to see a younger man taken away from his family. No one likes to see this happen. The way he departed us was not as peaceful as the way the president departed us. As far as media goes we all know how that business is. It's all about ratings. What do u think would get them more ratings? A fun loving man losing his life in a stingray attack (that is very rare I might add) or an ex president that passed away peacefully in his home with his family by his side??

• Mitch

Steve Irwin had a TV show and was on all the time, PLUS he was in a movie, so he was in the public spotlight.

President Ford did what respectable presidents do when their time in office is over: maintained his dignity and didn't try to usurp the authority of current presidents for their own personal gain and to remain in the spotlight (i.e.: Carter and Clinton).

It's not a matter of caring more, it's just a matter of how the media presents it.

I think it's because more people today are familiar with the Croc Hunter than President Ford. People have been watching him on TV for the last few years, while Ford has not been in the public eye much at all. In my humble opinion, he was the last honorable man to occupy the office. But what do I know...

It's easier to accept the death of someone who is older and has led a full eventful life. Steve Irwin was young and had has very young children..his son will never remember him that is why it is so sad.

I dont really know, i was kind of relieved when he died, now the whole world wont think australians are all bogans who catch crocodiles.

Because a lot of us on here weren't even alive when that old geezer was Pres. We all remember the Croc hunter.

• Nico

Maybe more people felt they connected more with him since we watched him on TV all the time.

At least he did something positive while in office.