Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Jesus said, "If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you." Is this the reason why ...

when Christians quote the Bible (God's word) here in Y/A Religion, they receive so many vile, angry, mocking, and beligerent answers? Why do you think they come to this particular section of Y/A?

Favorite Answer

i have asked the same question before with different wording of course and some of the people who answered said that they like to "get a rise out of the Christians", or that they think we're "stupid", stuff like that and then there were some that said they come to this category to get a better understanding as to why we believe the way we do, or to ask questions they'd like to know the answer to. the ones that answer so hatefully, they're to be pitied.

No, I don't think so.

I *do* think that that scripture, and others like it, are the reason that Christians make a fuss about being "persecuted" when all that's going on (at least here in the U.S.) is that they are being required to abide by the same rules as everyone else.

And it's really too bad, because anticipating "persecution" means that one cannot see things clearly.

Have Christians in the U.S. been denied jobs because of their religion? Have they had their homes or children taken away from them because of being Christian? Have they been forced behind barbed wire, crowded into "Christian-only" sections of cities from which they are not allowed to leave? Have they had their children forcibly reeducated in anther religion, had their children's names changed, not allowed to speak their native language? Have they had to wear a cross on their outside clothing so that others could identify them as lesser beings?

I could go on.

I know that it's difficult for any group, whether political, ethnic, or religious, that has had special privileges in a society to give those up. But that is NOT persecution.

Well it's basically saying don't let it get you down when the world cuts you down and is unfair to you, because the world treated Jesus with hate and disrespect long before they treated me or you that way. I don't think it only applies to Christians like you imply. It applies to everyone. If the world hates on you, the world did so to Jesus long before.

Partly

Makes sense.

• Brad

out of boredom

yeah you're probably right. it's a prejudice thing.