Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 1 decade ago

How can I tour a physics lab?

I'm 28 and have been reading this theoretical physics book. Since I'm not a student anywhere how can I see protons, electrons and neutrinos? Is there anywhere I can visit to see these experiments performed? I'm hella curious.

• eri
    Favorite Answer

Not really. Neutrinos aren't detected too often, and neutrino detectors don't really give tours of the facilities. I don't know about 'seeing' electrons and protons - I guess you could find a cloud chamber somewhere, or build one yourself (instructions are online) to see the paths they leave. I don't know where you live, but I know that Brookhaven Labs on Long Island, NY (near Stony Brook) used to give tours once a week of various departments. Also, Kitt Peak (south of Tucson, Arizona) gives daily tours of the telescopes on the mountian, if you're at all interested in astrophysics. Boston and San Francisco have cool science museums, but mostly aimed towards children, not adults. If you're not near NY or AZ, you might want to email the local college or university for more info on your area. Good luck!

No clue where you are, but in and around San Francisco, there are several hands-on exhibits where some of those things you want to see are on display. The Chabot Science Center in the East Bay and the Exploritorium in the City are two such spots. And UC Berkley has the Lawrence Hall of Science in the Berkley Hills. If you live elsewhere, there might be similar spots where you live. And you can always ask a nearby college or university...they frequently have open houses to attract new students.

Understand, you don't see those things you want to see, but you see the effects of their presence. For example, the Wilson Cloud Chamber will allow you to see the traces of cosmic rays as they create contrails in the chamber.

Have fun.

Source(s): Physics and engineering degrees.

Well, as far as seeing protons, electrons, not so much neutrons, you're looking at them right now.

You can go to local college or CC/JC and go to physics department. Ask an instructor or two if they'll let you sit in on a class or two. Or just sign up for the class, get the pell grant and make some money. . .

• Erika

u make an assertion that what ever subject rely u r via toddlers can attempt n make a gadzet on it from their on a regular basis existence adventure n the relevent subject rely. u can use the appliance n show urself