nicolehh11 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Vomiting puppy?

I have a 4 month old mini beagle puppy and he's been vomiting the last couple of nights (more like early morning). The first 2 nights it was liquidy and didn't have much in it and then last night when he vomited it was a solid and all his food came up. He doesn't seem to act sick and he always eats stuff off the floor he's not supposed to. I will take it away if it's not good for him but he'll occasionally eat something when I'm not looking. I've been writing down what's he's vomiting up and things like that. Should I wait it out a couple of days or call my vet immediately? He has a vet appt. on the 11th so I don't know if I should just wait until then? The reason I haven't already called the vet is because he doesn't act sick and is just his normal playful self.

Favorite Answer

Having raised several different breeds of dogs, I have learned that each dog/breed has individual needs. I have found it very helpful to research either on internet or reading books on each breed and learning their specific needs when it comes to feeding, training, etc... You would be amazed at how big of a difference it will make in raising your puppies. The vomiting could be a number of things. My suggestion is to call the vet. Better safe than sorry.

If he doesn't otherwise seem ill, is still playful, isn't lethargic, I'd give it another day or two before I called the vet. Vomiting and regurgitation aren't necessarily signs of serious problems in dogs unless there is blood in the vomit, or are severe enough to cause dehydration. If the dog were beginning to be dehydrated, he'd be lethargic and less playful. Puppies, especially, have issues with regurgitation.

If he's still puking on day 5, it's probably worth at least a phone call to the vet to make sure that the doc isn't concerned, though.

You can call the vet and just ask the veterinary nurse what she thinks it might be. If they think its serious they might see you sooner, otherwise they'll tell you to wait.

As a rule, puppies and kittens throw up a lot because they are still adjusting to eating solids instead of mums milk, plus as you say they do manage to scoff loads of stuff they shouldn't, so there you are.

There is a great company who sells totally natural supplements to aid pups growing a strong stomach, breeders use them and they are really good. I've used their Tree Bark for the stomach of my kitty and it stopped the vomiting and diarrhea overnight!

Ask your vet if its safe for you to give it to your pup.

Good luck!

I would call my vet immediately and tell him what is going on. They will probably recommend you bring your puppy in right away. You don't want him to get dehydrated from the vomiting.

You NEED to call the vet and talk to the vet doctor himself/herself. You vet will tell you if he/she needs to see the dog sooner than the 11th or not. If it were YOU vomiting like that, I'm sure you would have seen the doctor by now.......

my pup was like that too, she's 6 months. sometimes in the mornings if she's been playing rough but hasnt eatten but has drank a lot of water, she's throw up what looks like yellow bile. then one day (well, it happened twice but i only saw it once) we were playing hard and she was running around taking a bite of food every few laps around the room and when we stopped to calm her down, she ran over to her bowl, drank a lot of water, then jumped up on me on the couch and puked what looked like a loaf of bread (but it was just all her kibble).

she never acted sick at all any of the times. i think she was just over doing it. make sure your dog eats slowly and doesnt eat while playing and see if it improves. if it keeps happening tho over the next few days, then go to the vet.

Try giving him his food in smaller portions and look to see if he is actually chewing it before he swallows. Try to keep the floor clean of "BAD" stuff. If he acts the slightest bit sick I would rush to the vet to check for an obstruction!

Have you wormed him? If you have then it might just be that he is overeating. Puppies are very greedy. Make sure you only give him small amounts and only twice a day.

• nickle

take him to the Vet and not wait until the 11th maybe he has worms ------------sometimes when a puppy gets worms they will vomit

try giving him smaller portions, and a little bit of normal milk. chicken broth also helped my dog. if this doesnt work CALL YOUR VET. this happened to me and my dog had a worm in his intestine.