Any recommendations for instructional belly dancing DVDs?

I'm looking for DVDs on instructional bellydance but would like any suggestions before plunking money down on a video a beginner has no luck keeping up with. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Favorite Answer

For quality instruction do not buy any of the cheap stuff you can get from retail stores such as target, wal-mart, borders, barnes & noble, etc... The price is nice but you get what you pay for. If your an absolute beginner you need something that teaches you proper positioning and body alignment. Veena and Neena's video's are not designed to teach you bellydance they are more of a workout video which was designed for dancers who want a daily workout to follow. They do offer some instruction in how to do the moves only so that anyone can follow along. However the quality of the instruction on the video's is not god for an absolute beginner (their teaching quality is different in person, I'm not saying their bad teachers just that th videos are not going to fully meet your needs). I would recommend the Pricision Motion Workout by Suzanna Del Vecchio which I believe she re-released into a DVD format a few years ago. This video spends a lot of time breaking down the movements and focusing on positioning, body alignment, and more but also has a sort of follow along exercise potrion as well. It is more expensive than the Veena and Neena DVDs but is so much better for begginer instruction. A live teacher is much better of course and if you can find one I would recommend that over any DVD. The Jillina DVDs will be far to difficult for you at this point even the biginner or level 1 DVD. The Rania and Suhaila Salimpour DVDs are also designed as a workout not to teach bellydance and the teaching quality they do have is not very good and not representative of what those instructors offer in real life they are much better in person. However the DVDs they released (all of these were produced by the same company by the way) offer sub-standard instruction and focus on exersize. These two series also are fusion DVDs meaning your not learning bellydance but a bellydance mixed with something else (which in my opinion does not always seem to work well together in their vieos) Check out some of my previous posts for a list of resources for bellydancers to use as it will come in handy for you. Also, check out my site: http://www.middleeasterndance.net for teacher listings, movement descriptions, zill info, video reviews, and much more.

If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail me.

if you have bittorrent you can search for instructional vids

another way is free trial for 7 days of instructional vids on totalvid.com then you can choose to pay around 10$ a month or so.you will find there all sorts of vids including belly dancing, i read once that netflix has dvd's as well but i don't know about it.

the best vids for beginners would be by rania or veena and neena or jillina.

this site may give you a guide, it has links as well:

http://www.joyofbellydancing.com

Veena and Neena dvds are easy to follow, i wouldn't go with Jillina's dvds yet

"The way of the belly : 8 essential secrets of beauty, sensuality, health, happiness, and outrageous fun" by Neena & Veena with Nancy Bruning

my sister likes belly dancing too, and she loved this book, said it helped her the most. : )