my parents want to take out a restraining order on someone FOR me, i dont feel threatened though...?

My parents want to take out a restraining order on someone FOR me. My dad also wants a restraining order for himself from the person (my dad doesn't live in my house, though). I was just wondering if they could do that without my consent and since I am 17 now and will be 18 in 2 months can I have it lifted once I'm 18? How do I do that? The reason they want it is because they don't want me seeing the person and have a tape of him saying he's going to break someones arms or something.....please help, btw, I live in columbus in ohio.

also, exactly how long does it take to put a restraining order in place and how will I know when, or if, it got granted? And....how do I go about lifting it once im 18 if I want to....

• kp
    Favorite Answer

Woody is wrong. A 17-year-old is a minor in every state. A 17-year-old can be charged as an adult if they commit a crime, but that doesn’t mean they are an adult.

Yes, your parents can do this. And you've been told this every time you've asked this question (3 times now, isn't it?).

In most states minors under 18 must do what their parents say by law. There is no wiggle room here, if you do not the parents can petition the Juvenile court to have you "evaluated" in an in house facility, which can take up to 90 days. In the state of WA the juvenile court judge can sentence habitual juvenile offenders to detainment till they are 18. Best do what they say whether it seems right to you or not.

Under 18 your parents can basically do what they see fit concerning your protection. If you dont like it, move out. But parents do know more thank you do. And No to the second part, it can only expire or a judge can terminate it.

they can try...My ex's mom put a restraining order on me, and she just lifted it when she turned 18 3 months later. (And no, I'm not some dirty old man...I'm 21, was 18 at the time).

You need to stay away from this person.

Let the Restraining Order take affect, it will give

you time to get used to being apart from this person.

You need to be.

It depends on the state you live in. In Texas 17 means your an adult and could be charged as an adult, therefore here you being the "complainant" would have to file any such paperwork yourself.

Source(s): Cop

Yes they can, listen to mom and dad, they have a concern with this person!

• ?

yes let your still a minor . let them do this for your safety and it will make them feel better