Why do early risers get all the praise?

Why do people who get out of bed early in the morning get all the kudos and people who stay up late get all the scorn? A person who arrives at work early is percieved as harder working than the person who works late, when they are actually putting in the same hours. Even Benjamin Franklin subscribed to the adage, "Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise." The truth is 16 hours awake and 8 hours sleep is the human cycle. Why does it matter what time you get up?

• saehli
    Favorite Answer

Because they’ve already had the juiciest worms.

You are welcome!

This attitude goes back to the time when most people followed the sun's cycle of light and dark. Therefore someone who got up later was considered a 'slacker' because it was not feasible to 'stay up late and work' as there was no or little light or it too expensive to produce the light to stay after the sun went down. of course, these days, this is not an issue, but this is an ingrained cultural norm and will take a few more generations for the idea that is the hours worked, not when you work them that is important.

I see you are having some issues..lol..but I do understand you should move to NY I here that it's better to stay there late than get up early...It is the city that never sleeps..I don't understand that even though I am a morning person I guess the whole thing about responsibility and night people have a bad rep about being irresponsible. Sorry for your trouble I hope it gets better...

All natural cycles are based on the earth and sun, and since the sun rises in the morning, that is when the hard workers among us have historically got up so they could work while they could see what they are doing. Now that we have artificial lights, our cycles are changing, so people are starting to work when they feel like it. So long as you are gettijng the job done, you will be rewarded.

EXACTLY! I am so tired of people thinking I am lazy because I am a night person. I work at night while all those early risers are sleeping.

Just another one of the many "lines of crap" fed to people to get them to be more industrious and productive (along with the Protestant work ethic).

at night people loses things and if you get up early in the morning and keep your eyes open you just might be the one to find it

• Conway

Our society has long been sensitive to the noise time and night echoes sound more so than day .

They appear to be more responsible. i know I do not have much respect for my co-workers who come strolling in at 9:30-10:00.

Salty, I have wondered the same thing. I would rather get up later and work later, then get up earlier.

The late risers don't get praise because they are sleeping!