Maresia252004 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Is it ok to feed my dogs a mix of two different dog food brands?

I have two small breed puppies, one is 10 months old and the other is 3 months old. I had been feeding them Hill's Science Diet (the puppy kind), but my dog trainer told me the its main ingredient is corn, which supposely is not that healthy for dogs. So I started to feed them Nutro's Natural Choice (also the puppy kind). But while I was transitioning them from one brand to the other I noticed that they really loved eating the mixed foods and they had become more "regular" in their elimination. They seem so happy that I was wondering if there is any harm in keep feeding them the two brands mixed together as their permanent food source. Has anybody has ever done this before? Is it ok? Thanks!

• Favorite Answer

No reason not to mix brands.

Personally, I feel that no one food is "ideal" so I switch brands and varieties fairly frequently to try to give my guys a better chance at a complete diet.

As long as they are healthy and your vet doesn't have an issue with it, there shouldn't be a problem. I actually have serveral dogs that eat a mix of two super premium foods and look better then if they were on one or the other.

My only concern would be that the 3 mo old puppy gets enough nutrients. Your 10 mo old dog should be transitioning to adult food in a month or two but the puppy should stay on puppy food(appropriate for it's breed) until 8-12 mos.

Dogs are like people, they do better with a variety of foods. I have two 10 yr old dachshunds and buy them different food every time I get food. They never have poop problems or anything else. Both are very healthy and active. Anyone who says you have to feed them the same thing all the time is not thinking clearly. If you ate the same thing every day for a few years you wouldn't feel very good I would imagine. Oh, and too much corn can cause allergic reactions like dry itchy skin.

Source(s): 30 some years of dogs

I don't have a dog, so take my answer as a grain of salt

As long there is no animal products in the food,,, mix it up!

I'm sure the doggies will like change. Just because they are animals doesn't mean they have to eat the same food every single day.

I don't eat fiber everyday but when i need it I mix it in with my regular low fat cereal ...SO WHAT

it is OK to mix the 2 feeds, BUT, after the older one is a year old, you need to transition it to adult food because puppy food contains growth-stimulating vitamins which can cause some issues. I had a belgian malinois, who was fed puppy food until she was nearly a year old and she grew to be 27" at the shoulder, which is quite tall. she has had no problems, but you should take this into account, especially with small breeds that can experience helath problems form little things like the wrong food.

I don't see a harm in it. My parents had a purebred cocker spaniel in which they fed it two brands of food because she had a sensitive stomach. She lived a long and happy life. As long as you dont switch foods all the time because that can actually upset your pups stomach. THey are not built like the human being.

No cause the dog will be attached to the old food and then he will get diarea. If u want to change the food then put a little bit of the new food in the old food. Keep increasing the new food into the old food every meal time. Good luck!!!

Source(s): Happened to my dog.

As long as the puppies don't show signs of problems....then mix away! Be sure to keep them on puppy chow until they turn 12 months, then change to adult food. After they are spay or neutered, you may want to keep them on a lite diet to keep the weight off!

Yes of corse it is!! It is good to give them viriety because if you give them the same food everyday they will get boared of it and will go off their food!!

We feed our two dogs a different brand of food everyday and sometimes just feed them Raw Chicken!! They are very healty and Friendly!! So it is definetly ok!!

It's OK to do this for a little while, although you should slowly start weening them off of the Science Diet soon, it won't be good for their stomach's.